NTSB releases video about LJ crash at TEB

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Im still trying to wrap my head around putting an SIC in an airplane and not having him qualified to fly. Or was he qualified but company policy forbid it?
According To the accident docket he had a Commerical/Inst AMEL with a LR JET type rating and 2675 total time at time of hire.

Edit: well, his resume lists 1400TT and other documents indicate he got his type rating at CAE through the company.

Last edit: According the factual report: “According to his most recent records, he had 2,675 hours total time when hired, and 265 hours in the Lear series.”

Last edited:

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Further explanation from the interview with the “chief pilot.”

Mr. Berges reported that the GOM “rates” new-hire first officers. The following
describes the rating system the company uses:
▪ SIC – 0 – prohibited from flying the airplane in any operation. Must serve as
pilot not flying/ pilot monitoring.
▪ SIC- 1 – permitted to fly the airplane, but with management pilots only and
without passengers.
▪ SIC – 2 – permitted to fly positioning flights with any captain, but without
passengers.
▪ SIC – 3 – permitted to fly any flight, with any captain.
▪ SIC – 4 – permitted to fly from the left seat.
▪ SIC – 5 – able to perform as pilot in command, but they currently do not hold a
captain position.

citrus

Sound of the suburbs
Can't imagine the amount of crap the CA probably pulled off over the years, eventually fate will catch up w/ you for being a POS. Hate to say it but I don't feel bad for him.

Stryker172

Can't imagine the amount of crap the CA probably pulled off over the years, eventually fate will catch up w/ you for being a POS. Hate to say it but I don't feel bad for him.
Reminds me of that gulfstream accident in mass a few years back. Captain and FO failed to run a checklist over a hundred times prior and it eventually killed them.

z987k

Further explanation from the interview with the “chief pilot.”

Mr. Berges reported that the GOM “rates” new-hire first officers. The following
describes the rating system the company uses:
▪ SIC – 0 – prohibited from flying the airplane in any operation. Must serve as
pilot not flying/ pilot monitoring.
▪ SIC- 1 – permitted to fly the airplane, but with management pilots only and
without passengers.
▪ SIC – 2 – permitted to fly positioning flights with any captain, but without
passengers.
▪ SIC – 3 – permitted to fly any flight, with any captain.
▪ SIC – 4 – permitted to fly from the left seat.
▪ SIC – 5 – able to perform as pilot in command, but they currently do not hold a
captain position.
What a dumb thing to have. If your SIC is not at least a 3 on that scale, there's no way they should have passed the checkride and are not safe to be in an airplane. And they should be a 5 after a short amount of time, otherwise wtf are they there for?

knot4u

Repeat Offender
I've been unfortunate enough to have dealt with that outfit as a maintainer for several different providers. I dreaded working on their stuff. I can't go into detail but my advice for low time pilots is stay away, far away, no matter what they promise.

JeppUpdater

Im still trying to wrap my head around putting an SIC in an airplane and not having him qualified to fly. Or was he qualified but company policy forbid it?
I did some contract work with a local company (ARGUS and WYVRN super duper because we all know that’s so valuable) that does something similar - send super low time pilots (3-700 hours is their goal) to “training”:
One hour in the right seat of a sim, they takeoff, shoot one approach, do a miss, shut an engine down, and do another to a landing. Then act as PM while the captain shoots an approach. Repeat for a ‘checkride’.

Company then bans them from actively flying any leg for 100 hours. Afterward they’re free to do whatever the captains let them do. Some let them do empty legs, some alternate legs, some never let them fly.

I’ve seen kids faces light up because I usually say “I get paid the same whether I fly everything or stare out the window, so it’s your leg.” Then I try and do some mentoring for the trip.

Same company accessed my flight plans to change stuff and tell me I could do a flight nonstop because they “checked on it”.

Yeah...I don’t contract for them anymore.