NTSB releases video about LJ crash at TEB

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Hard to watch.

The thing that sticks out to me the most - having far less instrument experience than I like (or should) - is how the SIC asked - several times - for the CA to take the controls. For good reason. Ugh.

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
Hard to watch.

The thing that sticks out to me the most - having far less instrument experience than I like (or should) - is how the SIC asked - several times - for the CA to take the controls. For good reason. Ugh.
Well for a guy that wanted 27,000 feet and thought they were hundreds of miles from TEB and never ran a checklist, he wasn’t exactly the savior in that cockpit.

Stone Cold

Having done that flight in a Baron, Navajo, and Lear 60, this was just pure incompetence on the Captain's part, and negligence on the company's part for letting this situation happen.

GypsyPilot

Dunno. Either way, definitely not the airframe or airport to be doing on the job training with someone who the company doesn't feel is qualified to touch the controls. They were both way behind.
Oh, I definitely agree. I’ve done that very leg a few times, and used to fly into TEB very often. In many ways I think it’s the most challenging airport for 91/135 guys in the US. The fact that the PIC would choose to let a very inexperienced FO cut his teeth going into there shows how situationally unaware the CA was.

86BravoPapa

The passengers they dropped off at PHL were supposed to be on the flight to TEB but were so scared of these pilots they elected to rent a car in philly and drive to NY
Jesus...if ordinary passengers can sense you're not a safe flight crew, assuming they don't smell alcohol or see the pilots doing lines of coke off the leading edge, you know you got some problems.

If passengers ever suggested they felt unsafe with me in the cockpit I'd have some serious evaluating/assessing to do.

z987k

How do you hire someone you designated as an SIC-0, someone who never flies? I don't get it.
Generally you have a scumbag company that doesn't want to pay salaries to attract safe and competent pilots.

Edit to add - the company needs to be liable for this. Not just the company either, but those personally in charge. It's negligence at the very least. Also, the guy that signed his SIC ride needs some revocation.
You hire and push people through a training program that shouldn't be there? Fines and revocation. Of the airman's certificate and the operating certificate. Burden of self examining authority.

Last edited:

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
The passengers they dropped off at PHL were supposed to be on the flight to TEB but were so scared of these pilots they elected to rent a car in philly and drive to NY
Can't tell if sarcastic comment (in which case funny) or actually serious. (in which case HOLY &#%@BALLS)