1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Ticket, No Problem in Pittsburgh!

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by skypilot6, Sep 2, 2017.

1. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

They have 30k fewer ops a year than Teterboro.

denverpilot and bimmerphile like this.
  2. greg1016

greg1016 Trustworthy Source

And you won't ever have the need to connect through there again because the airport authority chased them out!

3. bimmerphile

bimmerphile SuperCriticalâ„¢ Member

Who wouldn't enjoy a little blue-gloved foreplay before forking over for the latest sub 3oz bottle of Hugo Boss 'eau de Pit'

4. greg1016

Oh, I know...

5. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Location, Location, Location ...

6. greg1016

That is only part of it...USA/AWE was well established at PIT, so much so that the airport authority decided that they would never move, so they decided to implement a seat tax on all flights out of PIT, including connections. Well AWE told them to pound sand and moved the entire hub to CLT, hence the reason CLT has been booming. PIT has something like 60 open gates at any time, and the airport runs at less than 35% capacity. If PIT really wanted to attract more customers to the airport, they'd court airlines to have a bigger presence there, not chase them away with special taxes.

7. Richman

Richman Well-Known Member

Lolz CLT was booming even when PIT was still a thing (1996ish).

Great airport to fly into, even when it was busy (WAY back in the day), but the last time I flew into PIT, you could have rolled a bowling ball down the concourse and not hit a soul.

8. bimmerphile

bimmerphile SuperCriticalâ„¢ Member

"Bowling, hmmm. This guy's got the right idea"- PIT airport management

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beep, Dexter, Yakob and 3 others like this.
  9. Ecl!pse

Ecl!pse Well-Known Member

Allegheny County Airport Authority - Beaver is the neighboring county north and west, but has nothing to do with PIT.

Fee's are coming down, which should help continue stimulating growth. The Air Service Development team has done a phenomenal job the past few years and I think this trend will continue. It's incumbent on the populace to take advantage of the new offerings from the various airlines.

I find it hard to believe you're familiar with the Airport Authority or Air Service Development team if you say they are not interested in increasing service - that's flat out untrue. I know the team there very well and increasing service is their top priority - but they are managing expectations appropriately by telling the people that it will never be the connecting hub it once was. That day is simply gone - now they have to grow in a new way, relying solely on O&D traffic, and they're off to a good start.

Having spent the last 5+ years living in NYC I have many, many more nightmare stories flying in and out of JFK/LGA/EWR vs. PIT. You're experience differs, but I've really never found anything about flying in/out of NYC to be pleasant - long security lines, small and cramped terminals, long taxi lines, etc.

Roger Roger likes this.
  10. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

Well yeah, cause those airports have traffic and passengers =)

tlewis95 and queeno like this.
  11. Ecl!pse

Shoot, I knew something was missing ;)

12. Richman

Richman Well-Known Member

FWIW I think I bought my boxed copy of "Tie Fighter" for PC when I was flying through PIT one day..

Beep and Autothrust Blue like this.
  13. poser765

poser765 Well-Known Member

I like that the stock photo of PIT they used in the article was a picture of the airport during peak times.

14. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

So.... today's airport?

Boris Badenov likes this.
  15. greg1016

Well every time someone starts making money at one of the county airports, the airport authority dreams up a new tax so they can wet their beaks. Instead of attracting more air traffic they come up with gimmicks like this, or closing half the airport to run a 5k on it, etc etc.

The line in New York was much longer, it just moved at a reasonable pace. I'm not saying there aren't nightmares, but in my traveling experience (as a civilian), it is TSA at the little airports that take their job too seriously and hold up lines.

16. Max Power

Max Power Well-Known Member

PIT WAS CLT at one point. 450 departures a day and most of them Usair(ways). It is a shadow of its former self, but it's better than it was six or seven years ago. As a hub, it made no sense. But it was amazing when it was one..

greg1016 likes this.
  17. Max Power

Max Power Well-Known Member

They can put the bowling alley where the gym used to be...

18. Ecl!pse

I don't mean to be combative/argumentative, but I don't think the "airport creating new taxes to wet their beaks" part is true, or at least for creating new taxes for the airlines. I could be wrong on this though, since it's been a few years since I was in Network Planning - do you have a link/source that shows new taxes have been levied on the airlines?

The cost per emplanement once led the nation, after the Airport Authority built the new terminal and had to service the debt on it, but those days are in the rear view and that cost is declining rapidly. The airport knows that increasing costs will only hurt demand, and I think they've done a good job keeping costs low and even offering compelling incentive programs for airlines like Delta, WOW, Icelandair, Condor, etc to attractive new service.

19. greg1016

Look, you worked for them, I am not going to argue. I work at the county airport (not for the authority) and every time a business moves in or wants to move in the ACAA dreams up an additional fee to charge and they go away or they never start. Traveling out of PIT is down right depressing. Yeah, we have CFG and WOW now, but those are only a few times per week.

Ecl!pse likes this.
  20. BEEF SUPREME

BEEF SUPREME Well-Known Member

YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY!

[​IMG]

Boris Badenov likes this.