1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night carrier landing, E-2C Hawkeye....

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by bunk22, Mar 10, 2017.

1. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

I get it was sarcasm but there is still merit to some of the specifics. Dont be so angry, your mom wasnt last night.

2. killbilly

killbilly Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens

@bunk22 - thanks for posting this - that's really cool to see.

Between this and the Rhino Ball 2016 video I was watching this morning (thank you @ozziecat35 ) I'm pretty loaded up on Naval Aviation this fine morning. :)

3. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

I thought it an interesting take on what is really a rare thing that happens except in carrier Naval Aviation. I will say, I've had difficult landings in the King Air, some tough airfields and winds. That means any airplane, at any airport, can have conditions that are way tough. Training is everything, the prep time for one night carrier landing is literally hundreds of landings. Exhausting at times.

bigD1031 likes this.
  4. killbilly

I've read more than once that a night trap in the weather is the single most difficult thing to do with an airplane.

5. knot4u

knot4u Repeat Offender

The aviators that operate off of boats astound me continually, I'd like to think that with the proper training I'd be capable but I'm not sure. That's why there are those that have/do and those that won't/don't.

6. ozziecat35

ozziecat35 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.

Watching this and the rhino ball video, just affirms my regret at having never been able to be a military aviator. Such a tightening in my pants.

7. killbilly

You and me both, brother. I know it's a hackneyed cliche to say, 'if I had known then what I know now...'

I've got a damned good life and I don't have many regrets...but rest assured if I could go back in time I would have made some different choices and tried to be a Naval Aviator.

8. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

Why would you be content settling for second best?

:stir:

PositionAndHold, Lawman and bunk22 like this.
  9. killbilly

Well, I gotta be realistic. I'm GOOD, but even I don't think I could fly helicopters...

Lawman likes this.
  10. MikeD

Haha! I was just tossing AF vs USN friendly fire out there...:D

In all seriousness though, I originally was wanting to be a Marine aviator and wanting A-4 Skyhawks, which were still in frontline and reserve service in the Corps back in the late 80s and early 90s.

11. ozziecat35

ozziecat35 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.

My original plan when I enlisted in the Army in 2001 was to go WOFT and fly UH-60's or Apaches...alas, my eyes disqualified me. :(

12. killbilly

Yeah. We all make plans. By my later teens I knew a service academy wasn't an option. And I never learned about ROTC options until it was too late...so I had an alternate plan which was similar...

The plan was to enlist in the USMC, apply for the MECEP program, then apply for a flight position - I wanted to fly Harriers at the time...might have gotten F/A-18s, though - this was 1992.

However...you know what they say...Man makes Plans, Gods laugh...

ozziecat35 likes this.
  13. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a fighter pilot and then I took algebra and said never mind.

14. JEP

JEP What are you looking at? Staff Member

15. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

One thing I hated was being the SDO, having to go to Air Ops and sit there. I was a COD guy, one damn plane, always the last to come aboard and having to wait and wait and wait. I remember an emergency one night and CAG is right next to, on the phone with the Admiral....obviously asking question after question....and that means? What does that system do? He is feeding it to the one star. Ugh.

16. bunk22

bunk22 Well-Known Member

IMO, it's just training. We train and train, the DQ (disqual) rate is very, very low. In the Hornet FRS, as we used to be told in Kingsville, the highest disqual rate was for ACM, the next, night CQ. Some say the hard part of the military is all the *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word*....maybe but as I'm seeing in 135 aviation, tons of *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word* there too. In the end, everything is *I don't have the education to emote without using a curse word* :) One the thing the Navy did well was trust you. If you wore wings of gold and you made a decision....as long as there was a trend of bad decisions....you were never questioned. Not so much from my latest job, but it's about image and profit. You may be a top 10 ball flyer, consistently, but that means jack squat in the civilian world.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  17. obx

obx Well-Known Member

Cool video. I'm wondering, would the USN C2 squadron have their LSOs on the French Navy's ship? My understanding is that each squadron usually has their own LSOs on the LSO platform. I know that there are wing qualed LSOs that can wave all the aircraft in the wing--not sure how many of those there are. But I wonder about landing on an ally's ship. I actually never even knew that this took place.

18. MikeD

@///AMG or @bunk22 would have to answer your first question.

But as to ops on the aircraft carriers of allies, here's a USMC F-4J Phantom aboard the HMS Ark Royal (you can see the Royal Navy F-4K Phantoms parked aft).

And below that, is a Royal Navy F-4K Phantom on the bow catapult about to launch, along with a USN F-4J Phantom on the USS Independence (CV-62) in 1975

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Life Aloft, bustinminimums and obx like this.
  19. ///AMG

///AMG Well-Known Member

We never did a foreign cross deck, think the last was CVW-7 just before we arrived, who bagged some traps on the De Gaulle. As I understand it, they sent their own paddles over to the French boat to wave. Not positive about that. And yes, a wave team is squadron paddles from mostly each squadron, and one of the two CAG paddles who oversees everything.

obx likes this.
  20. MikeD

What's the name of the head-guy LSO of the Navy, or some way high up guy in the LSO world? Has a particular title I can't remember.