New member - starting from scratch

Hi everybody. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few years and finally decided to join.

I’ve wanted to fly a plane since as early as I can remember but never had the right opportunity to actually go out and do it. I’m in a position now where family, finances and most importantly time are aligning so why not lean on this community for a little guidance!?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Hi everybody. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few years and finally decided to join.

I’ve wanted to fly a plane since as early as I can remember but never had the right opportunity to actually go out and do it. I’m in a position now where family, finances and most importantly time are aligning so why not lean on this community for a little guidance!?
Welcome. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Phoenix is great - lots of good flying weather to get started. You have a lot of options available to you depending on your goals - your sig file says you're interested in a career pilot gig. For most that's the airlines, but not all. There are everything from mom-and-pop flight schools to pilot-mill zero-to-hero outfits and people have widely varying opinions on the "right" way to do things. It kind of all depends on what you what.

Start out by seeking out a medical certificate. You can read about the medical requirements on FAA.gov. There's lots of details there, but basically if you don't have a history of mental health issues, cardiac issues, concussions, substance dependency/abuse or a few other things you should be okay. You can start out with a third-class medical - that's the absolute minimum you want to start with if you plan to pursue flying beyond Private Pilot - for now. Things can change later but you don't need to worry about that now.

You need a minimum of 1500 hours in your logbook to become an airline pilot - less so if you have a certain type of education or military flying background - but still over 1000. Don't worry about the details of that now - concentrate on earning your Private Pilot certificate FIRST. Make career decisions later.

Once you obtain a medical you can focus on how/where you want to train. That's a different discussion. Short version: you need regular access to an airplane and an instructor.

Get your medical first, then shop around on flight schools.

Your training begins right now - this minute - with the research you're doing. Go to FAA.gov and start looking up the requirements you will need to obtain a Private Pilot certificate. (You're going to have to learn how to look up regs and things anyway, might as well get started.) Hint: Airmen Certification

As you learn about what you need, ask questions, keep your eyes and your mind open. There is excellent advice here on this forum and people who are willing to share that experience - some of us are (cough, cough) new instructors, some of us are student pilots, some of us are senior captains at large airlines, others are military and still other are charter, corporate, agricultural and other types of pilots. Wide swath of experience to work with.

Get the medical first. Then take a Discovery flight or joyride or something. Decide if you really want it. Then find a place to train.

Ahhhh yes this Is perfect and exactly inline with what I’ve been researching!

I like the idea of knocking out the medical first so that’s where I’ll start. A friend of mine recommended a Dr. Burr Ross as one of the best AMEs out there. Currently googling the diff between first class and third class...

It’s funny I remember this PC flying game my pops got me when I was a little kid. It came with a reg book for a Corsair and before you could start the game you had to enter in the page, paragraph and sentence number of the reg it asked about. It would change every time you started the game and at the time was a total pain in the ass! Hindsight though...

Last edited:

thepedroid

Hey you created a profile on JC! Good job! Signing up here is the first and best decision you have made so far in your potential aviation career. Looking forward to flying with you and helping you as much as I can!

We should setup a Meet and Greet so you can meet some of the phoenix peeps.

Last edited:

z987k

Ahhhh yes this Is perfect and exactly inline with what I’ve been researching!

I like the idea of knocking out the medical first so that’s where I’ll start. A friend of mine recommended a Dr. Burr Ross as one of the best AMEs out there. Currently googling the diff between first class and third class...

It’s funny I remember this PC flying game my pops got me when I was a little kid. It came with a reg book for a Corsair and before you could start the game you had to enter in the page, paragraph and sentence number of the reg it asked about. It would change every time you started the game and at the time was a total pain in the ass! Hindsight though...
If you want to fly for a living just get a 1st now. You'll need it, and if you can't get one, you need to find out now.

No major difference other than the expiration and how much it costs. Get the 1st class one, so you'll know if there is any issue preventing you from getting another in the future. It reverts to 3rd class when the 1st class part expires, so it will be good for a few years/as long as your flight training will likely last.

Jordan93

I didn’t know about the reversion which is great.

I ended up choosing the first class exam and am currently scheduled for the end of the month.
Your medical doesn’t “revert” into anything. Your privileges change. Holding a first class medical allows you to be PIC of an airliner. Depending on your age, you’ll need to renew your first class medical every 6 months or a year. Once your 6 months or year passes, and you do not renew it, you can not act as PIC of an airliner. You still hold a first class medical, however you are unable to exercise your first class medical privileges.