New Dispatcher FAQ

Kwesidbz21

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and looking for some information. Previously I worked in public safety as a first responder. Unfortunately the body has started to give up on me a little and I have decided to find another gig. Was looking into dispatching and have started looking at schools. I love in Florida a d Sheffield would be then most convenient for me. My problem is unfortunately there financing. I have recently completed my FAFSA and have been approved for financial aid, but I have not been able to locate a school that will accept it. Does anyone have any insight on a school or program that I could make work? Thanks for your time.
Can look at Schools and they list all the schools. Usually though only school I found that accept financial aid are the community colleges which are few since most programs are private and dont accept financial aid. I will be going to Aircraft dispatcher Academy in Utah that does in house financing which you could try as well if nothing else works out.

Luigi

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and looking for some information. Previously I worked in public safety as a first responder. Unfortunately the body has started to give up on me a little and I have decided to find another gig. Was looking into dispatching and have started looking at schools. I love in Florida a d Sheffield would be then most convenient for me. My problem is unfortunately there financing. I have recently completed my FAFSA and have been approved for financial aid, but I have not been able to locate a school that will accept it. Does anyone have any insight on a school or program that I could make work? Thanks for your time.
Try and get a credit card with something like 12 month no interest rate.

nyk

Check out Polk State College. They are a community college and in Florida.

autosave36

I had to do mine through sallie mae. No idea if that is typical or not.

elbowroom

I don’t seem to understand this seemingly simple concept that we’re learning right now. If the ZFW is heavier than expected and thus will burn more fuel (or aircraft got reassigned to a lower altitude and is going to burn more fuel) then to me you’d have to bring out the fuel truck and add fuel to the min total but we’re learning that you’re able to just deduct fuel out of the contingency fuel on the flight plan if safe to do so....I’m puzzled.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
I don’t seem to understand this seemingly simple concept that we’re learning right now. If the ZFW is heavier than expected and thus will burn more fuel (or aircraft got reassigned to a lower altitude and is going to burn more fuel) then to me you’d have to bring out the fuel truck and add fuel to the min total but we’re learning that you’re able to just deduct fuel out of the contingency fuel on the flight plan if safe to do so....I’m puzzled.
Contingency fuel is simply extra fuel that you deemed essential for some reason during the planning phase. It's not required fuel per the FARs so as long as you and the Capt are in agreement in moving a portion or all of it into extra that would then allow it to be used for trip fuel to accommodate your lower altitude or heavier payload.

paincorp

As who’s who said, you can just lower your contingency fuel, which is part of the reason it’s there, for unexpected things like this.

If you think you’re going to hold, like you could expect to 2 months ago going into LGA, then you may want the fuel truck to top you off.

If the extra burn takes 750lbs and you have 1,500lbs, extra planned, you could now have 750lbs and be legal, just move it from Extra to Burn.

4EngineETOPS

From 14 CFR § 121.647 - Factors for computing fuel required.

121.647 Factors for computing fuel required.
Each person computing fuel required for the purposes of this subpart shall consider the following:

(a) Wind and other weather conditions forecast.

(b) Anticipated traffic delays.

(c) One instrument approach and possible missed approach at destination.

(d) Any other conditions that may delay landing of the aircraft.

For the purposes of this section, required fuel is in addition to unusable fuel.

----

The fuel required in 121.647 is contingency fuel and is factored in the minimum fuel number since it is technically "regulatory" fuel (although wind and the one approach/missed approach requirements are normally factored into trip fuel). If the dispatcher or pilot feels that some of that contingency fuel isn't necessary, it can be moved into extra fuel ("below the line").

Katerina

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and also completely 'green' in aviation field.
I'm aware of everything happening in the industry, but my desire to become an aviation dispatcher is stronger than ever.
I'm hoping to attend Sheffield school this fall ( I live pretty close to it, plus it seams like a tough, but good school).
Meanwhile I want to prep myself and learn everything that I can.
I already learn weather theory(from FAA book), can read METARs , PIREPs, TAFs (still struggling with NOTAMs, but I'm getting there).
Also I'm planning to buy Sheppard ADX prep app and take my time with practicing + learning.
Obviously flight planning is the most important part, but I can't find any good information about it! Just small pieces that are not helpful at all.
My question is - what else can I do? Any recommendations as far as books, apps, videos, simulators, etc - highly appreciated.

P.s. do I really need to learn all regulations???:oops:

Thank you for your time!

riley737

Hi there!

I'm aware of everything happening in the industry, but my desire to become an aviation dispatcher is stronger than ever.
I'm hoping to attend Sheffield school this fall ( I live pretty close to it, plus it seams like a tough, but good school).
I already learn weather theory(from FAA book), can read METARs , PIREPs, TAFs (still struggling with NOTAMs, but I'm getting there).
Also I'm planning to buy Sheppard ADX prep app and take my time with practicing + learning.
Obviously flight planning is the most important part, but I can't find any good information about it! Just small pieces that are not helpful at all.
My question is - what else can I do? Any recommendations as far as books, apps, videos, simulators, etc - highly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Sheppard air

LastMinuteAirline

[It soun
Hi there!

Thank you for your time!
It sounds like you are doing great and probably doing more than most to prep. Don’t over stress yourself. Unless you have an experienced friend who can help you learn to flight plan, I wouldn’t confuse yourself with the details. Use the shepherd program over and over. It works, not to learn so much, but to pass the written. If you commit yourself to the course, you will be fine.

Katerina

[It soun

It sounds like you are doing great and probably doing more than most to prep. Don’t over stress yourself. Unless you have an experienced friend who can help you learn to flight plan, I wouldn’t confuse yourself with the details. Use the shepherd program over and over. It works, not to learn so much, but to pass the written. If you commit yourself to the course, you will be fine.
Thank you!