New Alaska/Virgin pilot mins

ShortField

No one of consequence
Also the first week of indoc will be combined in SEA and then guys will go off to Virgin or Alaska training from there. Not sure how they'll determine who gets what, 737/A320.
The way AS does it now they just pass around a sheet with all the vacancies for each base and you put your name next to the base you want in order of class seniority. I would guess it will be the same but with airplane and base. We were told starting in January the classes would have 14 people, 10 737 and 4 bus.

Skåning

The way AS does it now they just pass around a sheet with all the vacancies for each base and you put your name next to the base you want in order of class seniority. I would guess it will be the same but with airplane and base. We were told starting in January the classes would have 14 people, 10 737 and 4 bus.
Oh that's more specific than what we've heard.

For those interested in VX LAX or JFK, don't expect those right away, will prob take 3-4 months to get out there.

ShortField

No one of consequence

For those interested in VX LAX or JFK, don't expect those right away, will prob take 3-4 months to get out there.
This was a few months ago when all the manager types came and said hi during class, but they do seem to be sticking to the plan of combined indoc starting in January so we’ll see.

Also on the AS side, LAX is fairly common in class.

Last edited:
Combined we only have a net single digit increase in aircraft, so not sure what the hiring is for - although rumor has it it's because of the largely unproductive Alaska way of scheduling.
What do you mean a net single digit increase in aircraft? For 2018 & 2019, AS and VX increase their fleet net total by 22 aircraft.

Mainline fleet at end of Dec 31, 2017: 223
Mainline fleet at end of 2019: 245

+ 22 new net airframes over 2 year spread

Nearly all the recent classes have had the bottom couple guys get forced New York, and then they bid out west on the next bid which then repeats the cycle. Newhires can get SFO or NYC right off the bat, LAX may take a bid cycle or two.

And yes first combined indoc newhire class starts Jan 22, 2018. First week spent together jointly for Indoc, then they are split for aircraft-specific systems ground school and simulator training.

MikeFavinger

Morning All,

I wanted to give everyone in the group a heads up about a recruiting campaign we are launching next week to recruit qualified and experienced First Officers.

As you know, it’s important that we have a pipeline of qualified pilots to help us fulfill our future growth needs. To bring the requirements of the FO position more in line with the rest of the industry, we have made a couple of changes. From here on out, FO candidates will need at least 2,000 hours total flight time in a fixed-wing aircraft and a high school diploma. Preference will be given to candidates with a 1,000 hours of turbine PIC and a college degree.

For those of you with folks interested in joining AAG with military flight time, the following will apply:
A minimum of 2,000 hours total flight time in a fixed wing aircraft or 1,200 hours total flight time in a high performance military aircraft.
50% of rotor-wing flight time up to 1,000 hours may be counted toward total flight time.

The hiring period officially begins this Monday, November 13 and ends at 11:59 PM PST November 23, so be sure to spread the word and get your referrals lined up and ready to go. As you may or may not know, flight ops leadership on both the Virgin America and Alaska side, as well as the recruiting team take you referrals quite seriously and are a valuable tool in helping us select the right individuals to join our wonderful group of pilots.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks and have a great day!

Captain ****************
System Chief Pilot
Just to make sure I understand, if I have 1400 Airplane I’d just need 1200 Helicopter to fill the gap at 50%?

@jtrain609 thanks for the heads up.

Just to make sure I understand, if I have 1400 Airplane I’d just need 1200 Helicopter to fill the gap at 50%?

@jtrain609 thanks for the heads up.
That's how I read it too, so with those numbers I would agree. Use 50% of your helo time up to a total of 1,000 hrs towards the mins. So max of 2,000 hrs helo can be used to count as 1,000 hrs for the mins. If you have 1200, that's a 600 credit.

Right? At least, that's how I read it.

MikeFavinger

That's how I read it too, so with those numbers I would agree. Use 50% of your helo time up to a total of 1,000 hrs towards the mins. So max of 2,000 hrs helo can be used to count as 1,000 hrs for the mins. If you have 1200, that's a 600 credit.

Right? At least, that's how I read it.
Sounds right to me! I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for posting.

Edit: I wonder if they’ll look at Helicopter TPIC?

2 legger through a couple time zones. Sounds fun! Looks like you’d have some options though.
There are a couple UA/AA regional nonstops to LAX and one UA Express to SFO daily. Still, sounds like a tough commute with a lack of options. 2-leg commute is a special kind of hell.

On the VX side, LAX commutability depends. There are quite a few redeye starts and early enough finishes that most people can commute in/out same day. Just from what I hear on the line though, it sounds like SFO trip quality and commutability is better than compared to LAX. But all this stuff on the VX side is based solely on Flica PBS, and that will be gone soon. There's no telling what lines will look like on the Virgin side.

I never want to hear you bitch about Alaska's contract again.
As long as you keep my days off as they are, sure :) "Soft rules" are great, trip rigs are great, as are duty rigs. But when I'm averaging 7+ block hrs per day, doing that just 11-13 times per month, and routinely scoring 17-19 days off per month, there's probably gonna be some beotching when all I have to choose are pre-published lines with long sits and trip rig guarantees that average out to 75-83 hrs of pay with only 15-16 days off.

Why wouldn't you like 93 hrs of block in 13 days and have 18 days off/month? If you say "that's too much flying!" I'd counter it as "you get 18 days off per month."

Alaska has many trips with looong layovers and the block is so low, the trip pays rig guarantee. TAFB/3.5

Point is that soft rules are great but for the super-rare exception of what is Virgin's route network and virtually all transcons, we do better with simple straight-up block time.

I just saw a straight up 4-day trip, TAFB ~85 hrs, blocked 31:xx. 31+ hr block 4-day trip! And when we have a day that consists of 1 transcon plus 1 short leg, that all adds up to very high daily average block.

aobt14

Is there a military conversion? I also noticed you mentioned 2000 civilian or 1200 high performance military. Are the two mutually exclusive? I have both but am short of the total in each category.