Need Advice Please! Dispatching in South Florida.

rlweitzner

Hello fellow dispatchers!

I graduated from Sheffield this past March 2019, and am proud to be a certified Aircraft Dispatcher from Sheffield! The program was great and I learned so much - I am glad to be a graduate! Right after I graduated, I was offered a position immediately, at an instructing facility in South Florida, which I accepted and my wife and I bought a house in the Fort Lauderdale area to be close to the job. We took a mortgage to be able to afford the house on the salary provided. Unfortunately, due to a number of circumstances outside of my control, I had to resign from the position. My wife and I are now struggling to pay our mortgage and I am desperate to get a job in South Florida as a dispatcher, as I am already about to be 30 years old and need to start my new career. I would love to work for Spirit or Silver, or any other local airlines, if anyone can help me please with any connections in any airlines here, as unfortunately at this time relocation is not an option due to the purchase of our home by mortgage, in addition to other things.

In addition to graduating with high scores from Sheffield, I also hold a 4 year University Degree in Sociology from Kent State University in Ohio, a number of years of work experience, and I have been an FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot for the last few years as well.

I am hoping someone will see this and help me with jump starting my Dispatch career, so that my wife and I will not have to lose our home and we can start our life here!

Sincerely,
Robert Weitzner

SoftSkills

You've probably already done this but just to cover all bases: have you reached out to Eric and asked him about your options locally? He could be great resource for your job search.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
I wouldn't close the door entirely to relocation. You could rent your house out on Airbnb and move wherever you can find a dispatch gig. I've only heard good things about renting out on Airbnb. Just an idea to help you get through what sounds like a tough situation.

rlweitzner

I wouldn't close the door entirely to relocation. You could rent your house out on Airbnb and move wherever you can find a dispatch gig. I've only heard good things about renting out on Airbnb. Just an idea to help you get through what sounds like a tough situation.
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately our HOA and the suburb we live in both have banned Airbnb and short term vacation rentals, so that rules that out. I've looked into renting as well but we need to live here 1 year before we can do that, and we just bought the house. But anyways I appreciate very much that you took the time to read my situation, and yes it is tough!

Robert

nyk

Western Gloabl Airlines in Estero might be looking for dispatchers soon. There are a few people that work their and commute from Miami.

F9DXER

As previously stated - talk to Eric.

You can also consider Part 135 operations, NBAA.org has job postings but I just looked and didn't see any in your area.

Since you are not looking to move, another option might be SwissPort. I have known a few people that worked there and then made it into dispatch at a regional/national airline.

Frontier's website shows a dispatch position open. In the past, that they have hired people with no experience.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I know that a 135 operator in Stuart, FL has advertised on here before, looking for newly certificated dispatchers. Fairwind Aviation, I believe, if you want to search for that name in this forum, should give you information/contact info. Good luck on your job search!

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Also - IIRC - Sheffield is currently looking for a new instructor. If you left there on good terms - with decent grades - since you already live in the area - and teaching interests you - that might be a good fit. I'd definitely leave Eric a copy of your resume, at any rate. As you now have some teaching experience that might give you a leg up on the competition.

rlweitzner

Also - IIRC - Sheffield is currently looking for a new instructor. If you left there on good terms - with decent grades - since you already live in the area - and teaching interests you - that might be a good fit. I'd definitely leave Eric a copy of your resume, at any rate. As you now have some teaching experience that might give you a leg up on the competition.
The job I took teaching was at Sheffield and I quit from there after 1 month, so that option isn't possible. But thank you very much for your advice.

Troy McClure

Ah say boy...Whattcha got there son?
Or....Or.....AMAZON is in bad need of exp UAS "pilots". They have been listing the jobs for months. Its finally ramping up. You Could get in on the ground floor.! And the pay is quite good. Better than any regional dispatcher starting pay. Amazon loves folks with college degree and the dx cert will help. Look for Amazon Air listings. Not Prime Air...thats diffurnt.
But..you gotta move to Seattle. Why can't you sell the house again? Just a thought.

ATLiens

If you can stomach it- I would try to get on as a scheduler at spirit and work your way to dispatch. Spirit is by far the best option for you if you don’t plan on leaving S. Florida

rlweitzner

Hi all! I'm still anxiously awaiting a response from Amerijet, does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an initial interview? I have all of the qualifications. Could it help or hurt to pay them a visit in person at their HQ at KMIA to inquire about the application? Does anyone have experience or connections at Amerijet to possibly help me? Thanks!

Robert

QXDX

Hi all! I'm still anxiously awaiting a response from Amerijet, does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an initial interview? I have all of the qualifications. Could it help or hurt to pay them a visit in person at their HQ at KMIA to inquire about the application? Does anyone have experience or connections at Amerijet to possibly help me? Thanks!

Robert
The job is still posted on their website. They will probably not do anything until the posting has closed.