1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Addon Completion Suggestions

Discussion in 'Flight Academies and Fixed Base Operators (FBO)' started by awbmof, Mar 12, 2017.

1. awbmof

awbmof Well-Known Member

In a nut shell, I passed the oral, but busted on the flight in January. I've been trying to get right back into the saddle but the weather in Western Washington has made flying difficult with added delays due to idiosyncrasies at the FBO where I've been flying (sole MEI was out on vacation for two weeks, over-scheduling the airplane before its AD and 100 hr checks expired, and more if you want to know.) Now, I am 10 days away from having to completely redo the ride with no weather break in sight.

Since I will probably have to redo the entire ride from scratch and their only MEI is punching out in a couple of weeks, I am considering going to a sunbelt state to finish up.

I am looking for recommendations for a place with multiple airplanes, more than one MEI and an examiner on staff?

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

2. av8tr1

av8tr1 "Never tell me the odds!"

If you are willing to drive down to Portland try twin oaks air park. Ask for Kelly. Depending on his airline schedule he can get you done quickly in the Geronimo.

Avoid twin time and Columbia aviation.

3. awbmof

awbmof Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call. I flew down there about two years ago when I was getting familiar with my Cessna 140. Great operation.

4. flyinghedgehog

flyinghedgehog Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestion

I ran into snags like that with aircraft maintenance at the first school I was at. That was in Saint Augustine, FL. At the ended it worked out so much better when I decided to move to a different school in Florida.

That other school that I continued my training at and finished up in a week was Ocala Aviation, Florida. I would have gotten done in five days but had some weather days (but weather days here come and go, nothing like 1/4 mile visibility and low ceiling all day in the Pacific NW)

I would recommend Kevin David as a CFI. He is usually booked about two weeks out but if you book anything ahead of time beyond that two weeks he can get with you twice and day and get you done. The DPE ( Ronnie Andrew Towater, FAA office SO15) is in house so there is the benefit of knowing what he wants to see and he is fair (passed me the first time, no failing students to make extra bucks, but I did not do anything to make him fail me either lol). In Florida, DPE who is registered with Orlando FSDO are very busy and they are fully booked up to a month out. This won't be the case with this in house guy though.

Accommodation wise, the school rent out school apartment (short term, daily and weekly rate available) and some CFIs will be willing to rent you a room in their apartment for like $35 a night if the school apartment is not available. I was skeptical at first because the school looks like this little mom and pop place, could be either amazing or awful. It turned out great, everyone knows everyone and they try to connect you to those who can help you. I could not recommend them enough. The plane (Seneca 1) was rock solid. I checked the log when I was there last (September 2016) and it had no unscheduled mx. All the students on the flight time log would fly like five days in a row and get their multi add on.

I did my instrument rating and commercial in Oregon with Hillsboro Aviation. I know big school, and you may ask why....that's because I wanted to fly with my instrument CFI who was a native with like a couple thousand hours and flew hard IFR down to minimum all the time. My commercial CFI was a retired UPS captain who now flies medevac in the PNW. Those two guys are the reason. Anyways this time of the year I would not recommend that you attempt to finish your multi rating in Oregon or Washington State because the weather will get in the way and cost you a lot more than the cost of flying yourself out to FL and get a room for a week. If you really need to stay in the Northwest, I recommend waiting till the summer to knock it out.

I am not a CFI and not affiliated with any of the schools.

Good luck

5. awbmof

awbmof Well-Known Member

Thanks again, I might go to Florida to finish up. Got a break in the weather but busted a second time now I have to redo the entire ride anyway.