Mooney furloughs entire staff and shudders plant

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Never once have I had a 737 pilot complain about not being able to make restrictions on a departure. Yet almost daily 321 pilots are crying they can’t make crossing restrictions. Just sayin
Is it all airlines equally? I have heard certain engines perform a little better.

z987k

You ever just change the thrust reduction altitude or accelerate height? Playing with either of those, whether you use it or not, will show you what you need to do to make the restriction.
Our shop treats those things as religious numbers for some reason.
"the sid requires a V2 climb to 4000ft"
"nah, we don't do that"
"uh, but we won't make the crossing restriction"
"it's fine it's a jet, it's climbs fine"
"uh, well the jet says it won't make it"
*confused look* "nah it'll make it.

....doesn't make it.

"this piece of •"

Last edited:

Prino

Is it all airlines equally? I have heard certain engines perform a little better.
Only delta and American. Frontier and spirit never have any problems. Not sure how Far East spirit or frontier (maybe Tampa?) go from Vegas but American takes their airbus to CLT and dal goes to ATL. Does one have different engines than the other ?

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
Only delta and American. Frontier and spirit never have any problems. Not sure how Far East spirit or frontier (maybe Tampa?) go from Vegas but American takes their airbus to CLT and dal goes to ATL. Does one have different engines than the other ?
We do a few transcons out of Vegas at Frontier. We do have different engines on our 321s. It seems like we routinely out climb American from places like Miami as well.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Only one ‘r’ in Baron.

What’s you see here is typical corporate thinking. Textron isn’t interested in selling to me and you the way Dwane and Olive did. They’re interested in selling to ERAU and UND. Those two places are happy to pay 400 large a copy because they’re passing the cost to the sucke..., er, ah, students paying the wildly inflated tuition. They are financing their tuition and student loan outfits are only too happy because those loans are bankruptcy proof. Good as cash.
This.

Was talking with one of the other CFIs I work with yesterday afternoon. He was telling me about a school he had worked at who had a major fleet of VERY late model (think less than a year or two old) 172s that were STCd with a German-made diesel. Sips jet fuel, flies all damned day, cranking out the hours. I know the STC was expensive but I figure the endurance and mx will amortize that pretty quickly.

I've said this at least a dozen times over the years - the American business landscape is littered with the corpses of companies who had excellent products and technology but couldn't sell or market their way out of a paper bag. Cirrus saw what you saw - overinflated costs driven by a lot of fear and legal encumbrances, and figured out a way to market to wives, girlfriends and insurance companies. They've created a luxury item at a time when wealth is explosive and sold not the romance of flight but the utility of being in control of your time. You're important. That's why you need a Cirrus. And then they marketed to the barriers-to-that-entry, if you follow.

They've been successful because they've made an airplane that was just good enough - but much, much easier to sell.

Richman

I got into flying right as Mooney was running those inside front cover ads in Flying showing the 201, 205 and 252.

I thought that was the shiz.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
If Mooney were to close (for good) would that impact prices on the older models? Does it impact parts availability, or are they all third party?

z987k

If Mooney were to close (for good) would that impact prices on the older models? Does it impact parts availability, or are they all third party?
Prices would likely remain unchanged. The only models that are old increasing in value are things like war birds or things that have a mission that is suddenly popular in which that type of airplane is not longer made. I guess warbird fits that to.
The list of airplanes in the mooney mission profile is large, they still make them and they're arguably better.

There's enough of them parta probably will never be an issue. Plus you can always make your own part.
You can still get parts for aircraft from the 30s.... or you pay a machinist to make the part. Just makes it cost more.