Mooney furloughs entire staff and shudders plant

Boots2Wings

Paywall for me, but it is sad if true.
Although I find those mooney’s ugly as hell.....and i fly REALLY ugly airplanes

deadpixel

GA is tough... Met a lot of their sales guys at various shows..Cirrus owns the high-end of the piston market and is extremely hard to compete against. Hopefully everyone finds a job quickly.

That being said when I was selling pistons I never met anyone who was interested in buying a new Mooney or lost a sale because of it..

Different article with no paywall: Mooney Production Halted, Employees Furloughed

Last edited:

milleR

This is a shame since I've always thought Mooney's were cool, but unfortunately they've just never been that comfortable, and when you're competing with something like a Cirrus for around the same money it's hard to justify. A Cirrus has to be, what, half again the cockpit width of a Mooney?

Here's a Mooney throwback lol:

Jimmy_Norton

Opie killer
It'd be odd to see a building shudder. Didn't think it got that cold in TX.

Anyway, why would you buy a Mooney vs a SR22? Aside from speed, which you can only really get going way high and sucking on an o2 mask, the SR22 beats the Mooney in all aspects.

Jimmy_Norton

Opie killer
Just to add to my argument a little, you couldn't get a new mooney with both TKS and A/C, because it would have zero useful load with a full tank of gas. Subtract one of those and I think you could do one person and bags.

New bonanzas have this same issue. I would never buy one of those new either, but I'd rather have a post-84 A36 than any other single engine piston.

Jimmy_Norton

Opie killer
I mean, everyone's making good points, it's just the Cirrus suck and the Mooney is a classic and a beautiful airplane. This is so self evident I shouldn't have to explain this at all. I supplant your logic with my own.
Why do Cirrus's (Cirri?) suck?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
Why do Cirrus's (Cirri?) suck?
Because.
Q.E.D.

New things suck Jimmy. Simply Facts are Simple.

(I'm doing a bit here, I just loved Mooney's and I haven't flown one in more than a decade and it was something I always wanted, and there's still time, but part of me hoped they'd be around forever giving everyone the same excitement I had flying them the first bunch of times.)

AAPalmTree

I mean, everyone's making good points, it's just the Cirrus suck and the Mooney is a classic and a beautiful airplane. This is so self evident I shouldn't have to explain this at all. I supplant your logic with my own.
you sound like a guy jive talking about how a 737 is better than a bus. You’re crazy man.

arkflyr

In 2011-12 I was in Kerrville quite a bit flying charter. Back then they had a small crew that was working there producing parts, and keeping the rest of the equipment ready to restart production when the time came. I wonder if that is the plan again until they find someone else to drop some money on them.

Going to be really sad to see them go away though.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I believe the last time they got investor help. I'm going off memory.

They're pushing out 4 units a year... They're ending with a whimper. It's not the end I would have chosen for them.
im curious what Cirrus/Piper/Cessna new aircraft sales would look like if you took out all the flight school orders.

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich
I really think the world of 850k piston singles that haven't changed much in 50 years, is over. How many Bonanzas sell each year?

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!
you sound like a guy jive talking about how a 737 is better than a bus. You’re crazy man.
It is better, when the airbus has to go home because it's too hot or the loads are too heavy they send real men in to get the job done. Youre welcome for doing a better job.

God I am that guy aren't I? I thought I was kinda progressive.