Midway

srn121

Notice the Vets don't actually mention the movie? They're awesome, amazing, and way less sung than they ought to be. Judging by the little bit of CGI that was shown, the movie will be as predicted. Sorry to be a grinch, would love to be wrong.
Likewise. Too many amazing pilots, experiences and sacrifices that Star Wars in it's fiction could never top what actually happened. If only there was a good director with a budget to take it on as I think some of the pilots, even the ones that stood no chance early in the battle were pretty incredible and going up against those odds and dropping a torpedo is ballsy as hell and even if they didn't hit anything they still bought precious time for everyone else. Wasn't there a B-26 that nearly kamikazed one of the carriers? I can't believe they'd put torpedos on it, but maybe that worked at times.

Finny

Notice the Vets don't actually mention the movie? They're awesome, amazing, and way less sung than they ought to be. Judging by the little bit of CGI that was shown, the movie will be as predicted. Sorry to be a grinch, would love to be wrong.
The CGI is overtly dramatic, but the story line is decent. Lots of little things that will bug you if you let it.

deadstick

This reaching way back in the gray matter to a high school term paper on the significance of the Battle of Midway in not just the Pacific Theater, but also in the outcome of the Second World War.

There were only 6 of the brand new Grumman TBF Avengers assigned to Midway and were not ship-based. Midway will be the first combat for those aircraft/crews after becoming operational earlier that year. The Marauders were Midway-based USAAC aircraft along with the B17s. They were modified for maritime patrol and torpedo attack.

65345FCA-1CB9-4B65-92EC-FB2EBCCBDA0F.png

Brian29

This reaching way back in the gray matter to a high school term paper on the significance of the Battle of Midway in not just the Pacific Theater, but also in the outcome of the Second World War.

There were only 6 of the brand new Grumman TBF Avengers assigned to Midway and were not ship-based. Midway will be the first combat for those aircraft/crews after becoming operational earlier that year. The Marauders were Midway-based USAAC aircraft along with the B17s. They were modified for maritime patrol and torpedo attack.

View attachment 50292
If you haven’t, read the book A Dawn Like Thunder that’s all about Torpedo Squadron 8 and those 6 Avengers. Great read.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
The just found another yesterday with the low res sonar. They’re redeploying with the HD to make the ID.
So, they "suddenly discovered" these sunken ships and aircraft from the Battle of Midway around the same time that Hollywood is releasing the remake of Midway. Wow, what crazy "coincidence".
I'll defer to Leroy Jethro Gibbs' rule #39.
Anyways, I'm planning on seeing it on Veteran's Day. Hopefully it'll be better than the original, which wasn't all that great.

Last edited:

deadstick

So, they "suddenly discovered" these sunken ships and aircraft from the Battle of Midway around the same time that Hollywood is releasing the remake of Midway. Wow, what crazy "coincidence".
I'll defer to Leroy Jethro Gibbs' rule #39.
Anyways, I'm planning on seeing it on Veteran's Day. Hopefully it'll be better than the original, which wasn't all that great.
They were obviously timing the find of the Indianapolis in 2017 with the block-buster made-for-tv movie from 26 years earlier.

E152AF4B-AF9D-4494-8E5A-A15976EAA76B.jpeg

The Lexington, Wasp, and other hulls have all been found by this crew.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Yep. Just looked it up, USS indianapolis: Men of Courage.
It came out less than a year before the discovery was announced.

USS_Indianapolis_Men_of_Courage_poster.jpg

knot4u

Repeat Offender
during filming of that a PBY burned up.
That's a shame. I always thought it would be cool to have a PBY outfitted like an RV, with stuff like a galley and a lav, maybe a shower and a nice bed. Then one day I was introduced to one and realized that assuming I might have a relaxing vacation in one was better left to daydreams rather than reality. I hate when dreams are broken, but that's just life.

A Life Aloft

Good little documentary:

U.S. Navy PBY Catalina’s fighting in the Pacific during World War II

A handful of PBY-5A Catalina’s equipped with early ASVradar had reached the Pacific by August 1942 and by December 1942, the USAF deployed a full squadron of PBY-5As to operate at night in the Solomon Islands. This "Black Cat" squadron (VP-11) painted its aircraft black, except for a squadron insignia that started out as a basic cat outline. Eyes were added after the second mission, teeth and whiskers after the third, and, allegedly, "anatomical insignia of a more personal nature" after the fourth mission (Morison 1949). The Black Cats participated in search, strike, and gunfire spotting missions, taking off at about 2230 each night and returning after daybreak.

1573347710616.png

Good article: Cat Tales: Consolidated’s PBY Flying Boat

Cal Goat

Prestige Worldwide™
The inevitable problem is that the true story is more fantastic than anything Hollywood can dream up. And because details matter, you can feel fairly confident that Hollywood will cut corners and turn the real people into caricatures. It seems you can't sell a historically accurate and dignified story to Hollywood because they don't think it will sell. Things like this are best left to miniseries like Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

I suppose I'll eventually watch this thing but I ain't paying theater money. I just care about historical accuracy too much to be [very likely] insulted by CGI bukake.

deadstick

That's a shame. I always thought it would be cool to have a PBY outfitted like an RV, with stuff like a galley and a lav, maybe a shower and a nice bed. Then one day I was introduced to one and realized that assuming I might have a relaxing vacation in one was better left to daydreams rather than reality. I hate when dreams are broken, but that's just life.
I think this was in Plane and Pilot Mag awhile back. Those are jet skis on the hard points, and the interior is RVish.