Microsoft to release new “Flight Simulator”

JeppUpdater

No lie - Flight Simulator 95 was a big deal for me when I was younger...the completely unrealistic aircraft models, the endless abyss of featureless grass with random runways, the lack of movement of anything except landing gear (and that just retracted into the fuselage - gear doors be damned!).

Not sure what the latest and greatest is for the simming market these days, or if this will even compete, but it‘s visually impressive:

woodreau

I think it will be competing with itself Flight Simulator X (from over a decade ago) and its successor Lockheed Martin’s Prepare3D.

Whether it succeeds or not depends on whether Microsoft makes it an open development platform or keeps it a closed system with micro transactions

What made FS X was the flightsim community and third party developers that made FS
X more than the sum of its parts.

I can’t see this new iteration working if it’s going to be played on an Xbox.

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I think it will be competing with itself Flight Simulator X (from over a decade ago) and its successor Lockheed Martin’s Prepare3D.

Whether it succeeds or not depends on whether Microsoft makes it an open development platform or keeps it a closed system with micro transactions

What made FS X was the flightsim community and third party developers that made FS
X more than the sum of its parts.

I can’t see this new iteration working if it’s going to be played on an Xbox.
I’d argue that FS9 was the peak as far as 3rd party add ons were concerned. Feel There and PMDG made mad cash on nerds like me.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
There was a lot of French in this.

I think this could be pretty damn cool with worldwide satellite imagery being able to be downloaded as you fly. I only hope for realistic ATC and AI.

averettpilot

This would have caused an abundance of excitement for me if I wasn’t flying for a living. I used to love MSFS, now the last thing I want to do on a day off is flight sim. Guess I’m not avgeek enough
Yeah I used it growing up and during flight training for procedures and stuff, but I have other hobbies to do when I’m not doing the real thing

FlyingAccountant

I’d argue that FS9 was the peak as far as 3rd party add ons were concerned. Feel There and PMDG made mad cash on nerds like me.
FSX pissed off a lot of people when it first came out because it wasn't optimized and even people with high end computers couldn't max it out.