1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MEM Commute

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by Massey, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Massey

Massey Well-Known Member

My wife and I are planning a move to Memphis this summer. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on easy commutes or commutes to avoid out of MEM? Mostly interested in ATL or ORD, but EWR, LGA & CLT are possibilities as well. Thanks!

2. JustinS

JustinS Well-Known Member

Well with any commute out of MEM, don't forget there is also FedEx to jumpseat on.

BWER likes this.
  3. Massey

Massey Well-Known Member

No doubt. I wonder what the best way to deal with parking is? Would they let a jumpseater park in a Fedex lot?

4. ctab5060X

ctab5060X Well-Known Member

You can park in their general employee lot. Just show your badge to the security person and identify yourself as an offline jumpseater. There is a bus that will take you over to building where you will check in. Sounds like a lot at first, but it's easy once you actually do it.

As far as other cities, beware that MEM-ATL has a lot of former NWA pilots commuting on that route.

Most other routes out of MEM are on Regional Jets with occasional mainline service to DFW and CLT.

JustinS and Massey like this.
  5. Cherokee_Cruiser

Cherokee_Cruiser Well-Known Member

If you're a MEM guy, Fedex should be your #1. One of the easiest, nicest, and friendliest airline to jumpseat on.

Heck, Fedex is my #1 for nonstop from DTW-EWR when I visit the inlaws and the occasional EWR-LAX nonstop when I just want the quietness of a freighter 767 versus a UAL 757 filled with coughing / petri dish environment.

M20B_pilot and Massey like this.
  6. cmhumphr

cmhumphr Well-Known Member

Hopefully you are looking into working at FedEx as well. Your QOL will be through the roof living there!

Massey likes this.
  7. Massey

Massey Well-Known Member

That would be great, I'll certainly be looking into it. Alas, I think I'm going to need to keep building my resume and networking for a bit before I'm a competitive applicant at FedEx.

8. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

Especially now that you have to roofie a current employee, steal their computer, and get their one LOR they get every 10 years.

Massey likes this.