Medevac Navajo Crash Alaska

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
It appears a Medevac Navajo operated by Security Aviation crashed and burned enroute between Anchorage and Seward today.

Last two airplane types I flew both had fatals today. Interesting.

It appears a Medevac Navajo operated by Security Aviation crashed and burned enroute between Anchorage and Seward today.

Last two airplane types I flew both had fatals today. Interesting.
“Night VFR” THROUGH the mountains, no thanks.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I bet the other companies turned it down. We didn't do night into Seward.

And why the hell are they doing medevac in a jo?
For a lot of what we do the Jo would be great. Those 20 minute flights where the nurses basically just hold the PTs hand and tell them they’re going to the hospital in Juneau it seems overkill to run a PC12 or KA200.

Medevac Alaska has quite a history of sketchiness. Like bottom of the barrel in aviation and EMS. I don’t know if I knew that they were chartering Security now but that makes sense. I thought Security had a decent rep now that the scammers are out of it. Trying to go VFR through a pass at night with IMC on the other side doesn’t signal a strong safety culture tho.

I absolutely hate turning down a medevac, but this strengthens my resolve to trust that little voice in the back of my head that says “this is a bad idea.” So far I’ve never caught flak for putting a flight on wx hold.

z987k

I absolutely hate turning down a medevac, but this strengthens my resolve to trust that little voice in the back of my head that says “this is a bad idea.” So far I’ve never caught flak for putting a flight on wx hold.
Called that one.

It was the director of ops. Wonder if his pilots turned it down and he was going to go get it done.

Nark

Sheepdog
We’ve had some serious discussions while overseas, as med pilots.
I don’t want to give away some of the strategies, but it took a very deliberate talk with command, and expectations were laid out, prior to any call.

A few months before my time, but it took the might of the American military to pick up a solider one sandy, poopy Day.
It took @Lawman ’s homeboys using systems not designed for that, and made it work. All this being said, we had massive tools and infrastructure at our disposal, a PA31 and 135 operator has only their wits. Not a good recipe for success. As we see.

z987k

I don’t want to give away some of the strategies, but it took a very deliberate talk with command, and expectations were laid out, prior to any call.

A few months before my time, but it took the might of the American military to pick up a solider one sandy, poopy Day.
It took @lawman’s homeboys using systems not designed for that, and made it work. All this being said, we had massive tools and infrastructure at our disposal, a PA31 and 135 operator has only their wits. Not a good recipe for success. As we see.
Well seward at night is also called suicide so... while it's really unfortunate the med crew died the pilot killed himself.

Very much a reason everyone else turned it down.

Which speaking of which pilot shopping for one stupid enough to go fly is still alive and well in medevac.

We had some smart nurses refuse to ever fly with a guy after they learned he accepted a night seward trip. The nurses canceled it.

NickH

Dank Meme
Wish my former medevac director of ops had gitrdone'd it in to a mountain.... He did get fired, so I suppose there's that....

It took @Lawman ’s homeboys using systems not designed for that, and made it work. All this being said, we had massive tools and infrastructure at our disposal, a PA31 and 135 operator has only their wits. Not a good recipe for success. As we see.

I did a flight to a small village in SW AK late last night, and the whole time I was thinking of how alone we were. No help was coming anytime soon if something went sideways. Fortunately it was clear and a million with calm winds. It was a beautiful night, we could see the Milkway. I love my job, but it’s serious business with serious consequences.

Nark

Sheepdog
@alaskadrifter , I had some really
Good luxuries overseas.
My very first aviation job was the night dispatcher in northern Manitoba, for a medevac company just after 9/11. About 2 weeks after this crash:

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Well seward at night is also called suicide so... while it's really unfortunate the med crew died the pilot killed himself.

Very much a reason everyone else turned it down.

Which speaking of which pilot shopping for one stupid enough to go fly is still alive and well in medevac.

We had some smart nurses refuse to ever fly with a guy after they learned he accepted a night seward trip. The nurses canceled it.
Yeah, but did he KNOW he was doing that?

The problem these days is newbs. The Chiefs are now more critical than ever. The chiefs really have to act right by their inexperienced crews and be valuable mentors to those crews. Yes, that is a lot to ask. Yes, that is an inordinate responsibility. But, yes, that is a real thing these days.

Another problem these days in Alaska, and lots of other places is that oft-times, the leadership is almost as inexperienced as many of the crews. Hell, the chief at a well known Alaska 121 flew into the side of a mountain... completely unnecessarily. In that case, he was not inexperienced, just stoopid. But once the wreckage is found, what the hell is the difference???

Last edited:

z987k

Yeah, but did he KNOW he was doing that?

The problem these days is newbs. The Chiefs are now more critical than ever. The chiefs really have to act right by their inexperienced crews. Yes, that is a lot to ask. Yes, that is an inordinate responsibility. But, yes, that is a real thing these days.

The problem in Alaska, and lots of other places these days is that oft-times, the leadership is almost as inexperienced as most of the crews. Hell, the chief at a well known Alaska 121 flew into the side of a mountain... completely unnecessarily. In that case, he was not inexperienced, just stoopid.
I mean if you have almost any time flying at all in south central or have ever been to seward in the day or even just read the approach plate, you'll know it's not a place you go at night.
So... involuntary suicide perhaps, but I should be able to give any instrument rated pilot the approach plate for that airport and a no comes next. Mostly since it says NA at night on it.
Clearly he preferred the it's not good enough for IFR so we'll go VFR approach to flying.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
I mean if you have almost any time flying at all in south central or have ever been to seward in the day or even just read the approach plate, you'll know it's not a place you go at night.
So... involuntary suicide perhaps, but I should be able to give any instrument rated pilot the approach plate for that airport and a no comes next.
Mostly since it says NA at night on it.
True. But have you ever had to explain to your CP how an MEL worked? I have.