man has trouble maintaining altitude, airspeed, localizer, glideslope...

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I've had things happen that cause the autopilot to turn itself off, but it's usually turbulence or wake.
Right, I've heard of that. Not a controller vectoring for spacing, though. I don't have very much experience in IMC, which is why I'm hesitant to say "that's a stupid thing for him to say" without knowing for sure that it is.

ZeroPapaGolf

There's a remark he made that I don't understand as he's on final...

"That would have overstressed the autopilot if I'd tried to fly that approach coupled..." (presumably referring to the vectors.)

Is that a thing? Overstressing the A/P?
I didn’t watch the video, but some (especially older) autopilots are really sensitive to intercepting the approach at just the right angle. We had a Century III that you just about had to speak softly to and gently caress to get it to capture every time. I remember reading something along the lines of it needing 20 seconds in level flight before intercepting in order to capture.

Regardless, the point is that yes, relatively normal vectors can cause a crappy autopilot to fail to work properly.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I think he was talking about the unusual attitude. ;)
Maybe I didn't catch one. I mean, the banks he made weren't more than 30 deg in most cases, and his descent rates (according to the VSI) weren't THAT excessive. Still, I am reluctant to critique...I'm not IFR current and have never flown a high-performance airplane at all, much less in IMC.

There’s always that one guy who everyone knows and hates. Here we have this really annoying MU2 that flies into CDW a lot. Dude sounds like a total tool.
He probably rides Italian motorcycles, too, the pinko commie bastard.

Maybe I didn't catch one. I mean, the banks he made weren't more than 30 deg in most cases, and his descent rates (according to the VSI) weren't THAT excessive. Still, I am reluctant to critique...I'm not IFR current and have never flown a high-performance airplane at all, much less in IMC.
That was in reference to events I witnessed in a few of his vids I wasted time actually watching. I don't watch Jerry vids anymore.

Apparently, he's not dead yet. In his case, from my perspective as a viewer of some of his earlier vids, that represents significant accomplishment on Jerry's part. So good on the lad.

There's a remark he made that I don't understand as he's on final...

"That would have overstressed the autopilot if I'd tried to fly that approach coupled..." (presumably referring to the vectors.)

Is that a thing? Overstressing the A/P?
I've had things happen that cause the autopilot to turn itself off, but it's usually turbulence or wake.
If he's worried about "over stressing" the autopilot, maybe he shouldn't press altitude hold while climbing at over 1000 fpm. And then complain about it porpoiseing...

That looked to be harder on the servos than anything on the ILS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk