1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

man has trouble maintaining altitude, airspeed, localizer, glideslope...

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by bimmerphile, Mar 17, 2017.

1. averettpilot

averettpilot Well-Known Member

He was cleared to land 28R and requested circle to 33. Was then cleared low approach 28R, cleared to land 33. During that whole radio exchange was when he blew through the GS at over 2000 fpm and then pitched up and climbed through it the other way. Not so good with distractions is this one.

2. KVNC

KVNC Average Joe

Dang Jerry W keeps popping up in my Youtube recommendations now!

3. inigo88

inigo88 Composite-lover

Gotta save that 5 minutes of taxiing. :bang:

averettpilot likes this.
  4. Crop Duster

Crop Duster UNSUB

It's less like distraction and more like mania. Listening to some GA pilots preen on the radio in their 210s, 310s, Bonanzas is like watching the local volunteer fire department clowns strap party lights to their 1998 Ford Rangers and Pontiac Gran Ams, careen down the roads and come to skidding stops in in the grass at the "incident sites" (lawns where the kids are playing). Giving a radio to a Macho, Anti-authority, Invulnerable is like giving more coke to an addict.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. bimmerphile

bimmerphile Open-Air Member

The best part? He said in another video that he has to idle for several minutes after landing to cool down the turbos and prevent coking.
    Taxi is good for that kind of stuff...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 2.09.07 PM.png

7. Jpax

Jpax Well-Known Member

Reddit Gold:

"I have owned this plane for 22 years and have over 2000 hours in this plane so I know my plane's and my own capability and safety level, like I said in the video on a scale of 1-10 the safety level was a 6.5, I know the terrain, I know my aircraft, I know my ability, I felt confident in our safety to take this flight otherwise I would've aborted like I have done on many occasions,"

Safety level of 6.5, so he rated himself a D, borderline F. Classy.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/3yeqrh/a_must_watch_yosemite_threading_the_clouds_by/

8. tcco94

tcco94 Professional GTA V Pilot

Yeah, he also says at one point in his video "but we made it, so"

And then a commenter says he's excellent at "threading the needles" as he dodges mountains covered by clouds with his daughter praying for her life. Then he says "thanks!" Like that's a good compliment to get!!

Two comments that make me scratch my head. I don't think anyone should be proud to identify their mistakes then shrug it off as "we're here alive"...what? What about when you don't make it alive.....

Jpax and Yakob like this.
  9. n57flyguy

n57flyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I see what you mean. Based on the airport diagram it seems like you would have enough room for that circle maneuvering a light twin piston, but I don't know the tribal knowledge or how the tower works that traffic. Regardless - it seems like the least of his worries.

10. averettpilot

IMG_4398.PNG Textbook flying....except when you show him a textbook, then it goes back to "well my CFI taught me this." Lol

Derg likes this.
  11. mastermags

mastermags Well-Known Member *giggity*

Considering he was pointing out he was above circling minimums while still well above the clouds pretty much summed out how this was going to go.

Dead man walking.

Yakob likes this.
  12. Yakob

Yakob Well-Known Member

That's another disturbing part, that he realizes his safety level is mediocre and is actually Ok with that. "6.5 out of 10" technically is below the passing grade for an FAA knowledge test as well. Although frankly I think his safety level is well below 6.5.

Yes, because the ends justify the means /s. Sadly this is pretty much a textbook example of Invulnerability, the person has their sense of invulnerability reinforced by each time they survive irresponsible behavior. His mentality could be a considered a version of the Survivorship Bias, I suppose.

Derg likes this.
  13. FlyingSieve

FlyingSieve Well-Known Member

I wonder if his daughter would assign the same rating if she were to privately watch that video. I legitimately felt bad for her at numerous points.

Being satisfied with a "6.5" flight while carrying an innocent passenger is entirely UNSAT.

Yakob likes this.
  14. averettpilot

Not that it matters, but I think that 6.5 was on a scale of how dangerous it was.

15. Beep

Beep Well-Known Member

Not to pile on... but it seems as though he's already crashed, fate is just deciding the time, date, and place, as well as how many people will be killed.

tcco94 and tiredcfi like this.
  16. bLizZuE

bLizZuE Learning to Fly FiFi

He responded to my comment with "let's see you do better." Paraphrasing. Sad.

The FAA needs to meet this guy on a ramp check, if he flies like this, you know his paperwork is a disaster on anything he owns, rents, touches, etc.

Yakob, tiredcfi and averettpilot like this.
  17. averettpilot

Was gonna respond to that thread...played golf instead

FlyingSieve likes this.
  18. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk