man has trouble maintaining altitude, airspeed, localizer, glideslope...

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
At 9k we’d have the whole thing done between the ramp and the end of the runway. Check the mags and cycle the props when you power up to get moving, the rest just flows up and left. Easily done in a minute if you know what you’re doing.
Chieftain similar....start at the bottom of the pedestal and work your way to the overhead.

Man do I miss flying piston twins.

qflyer

In one of the latest, Jerry waxes philosophical on personal minimums. Those approaches are ok a because "I'm a very good multi-tasker."

Aside form that, someone pointed out that his new set up has a nice big timer. I only fly singles, and I can do a run-up and before takeoff checks fairly quickly using a flow and check, but is this even possible in a twin such as the 414?

View attachment 46540

And then as he leaves the run up area to depart, "oh, uhh, need to put Oakland into the GPS..." I guess he missed step 14 of the All Important Checklist™. "Flight instruments and radios, set."

Watching him side slip for over a mile on final with bank angles in the 20+ degree range and ultimately going missed in what was only a 14 g 19 crosswind component was impressive. But the folks commenting on YT say he's got mad skillz, so we're all probably just jealous or something.

In one of the latest, Jerry waxes philosophical on personal minimums. Those approaches are ok a because "I'm a very good multi-tasker."

Aside form that, someone pointed out that his new set up has a nice big timer. I only fly singles, and I can do a run-up and before takeoff checks fairly quickly using a flow and check, but is this even possible in a twin such as the 414?

View attachment 46540
Depends. Generally, it should be done as a CHECK list. You know, checking that the things you already configured are actually configured the way they are supposed to be. That could be handily accomplished in a minute. If he's running his list as a TO-DO list, who knows...

MidlifeFlyer

Depends. Generally, it should be done as a CHECK list. You know, checking that the things you already configured are actually configured the way they are supposed to be. That could be handily accomplished in a minute. If he's running his list as a TO-DO list, who knows...
Maybe. I located at a standard 414 checklist (POH) and yes, most of the items exclusive of the runup itself are things I would have configured well before; many of them even before I taxied. But I also experimented with simply reading each non-runup item and saying "done" or "don't need" and that took about 40 seconds. Doesn't leave a lot of time for running up two engines. Maybe someday Jerry will show us how he does it :eek:

milleR

Maybe. I located at a standard 414 checklist (POH) and yes, most of the items exclusive of the runup itself are things I would have configured well before; many of them even before I taxied. But I also experimented with simply reading each non-runup item and saying "done" or "don't need" and that took about 40 seconds. Doesn't leave a lot of time for running up two engines. Maybe someday Jerry will show us how he does it :eek:
It’s been almost a decade, but iirc the 402 was power to 1700, cycle left mags/right mags, cycle the props, power back under movement then drop your right hand check the fuel selectors to main, up to cowl flaps open, up and right to wing flaps up, moving left mixture/prop/throttles, gear down three green, flight instruments up and correct, annunciatiors out, left and down mags on, gens on, lights and heats as needed, breakers in then starting far right in the panel check temps, pressures and fuel and giddyup.

Takes about as long to do it as it does to read that.

MidlifeFlyer

It’s been almost a decade, but iirc the 402 was power to 1700, cycle left mags/right mags, cycle the props, power back under movement then drop your right hand check the fuel selectors to main, up to cowl flaps open, up and right to wing flaps up, moving left mixture/prop/throttles, gear down three green, annunciatiors out, left and down mags on, gens on, lights and heats as needed, breakers in then starting far right in the panel check temps, pressures and fuel and giddyup.

Takes about as long to do it as it does to read that.
I'd like to see that.

milleR

I'd like to see that.
I should add that’s also the before-start flow, so you’re basically just double checking all the things you’ve already checked and set. 400 series Cessnas (possibly exempting the 421 with its GTSIO’s) are pretty simple to fly, as witnessed by Jerry’s continued existence.

But again, I haven’t touched one in almost 10 years so I’ll shut up. Just a testament to ingrained habits and good training I suppose. Still feels like I could hop in one tomorrow and for a spin though :)

Stone Cold

I should add that’s also the before-start flow, so you’re basically just double checking all the things you’ve already checked and set. 400 series Cessnas (possibly exempting the 421 with its GTSIO’s) are pretty simple to fly, as witnessed by Jerry’s continued existence.

But again, I haven’t touched one in almost 10 years so I’ll shut up. Just a testament to ingrained habits and good training I suppose. Still feels like I could hop in one tomorrow and for a spin though :)
Until you went to flare at 50 feet... then life would get interesting. ;)