Magnetic pole reversal

knot4u

Repeat Offender
A full polar flip will probably kill everybody so navigation solutions are probably a distant concern.
Apparently it takes about 500 years for the shift to happen, I have no idea how the scientists can claim they know that, and it's something that's happened multiple times in the past, I have no idea the scientists can claim they know that either. If the poles begin to shift we might lose our protection from the really dangerous energy the sun is constantly trying kill us with. The sun is trying to kill you at every opportunity, you can't even look at the darn thing for more than a moment without going blind. I'm fair skinned and have had severe sunburns resulting in blisters and at one point snow blindness due to my own ineptitude and unpreparedness. I like sunlight, I hate the sun.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Apparently it takes about 500 years for the shift to happen, I have no idea how the scientists can claim they know that, and it's something that's happened multiple times in the past, I have no idea the scientists can claim they know that either.
By looking at layers in rocks. All the ferrous materials point one way in a bunch of layers and then in the next set of layers they point the other way.

texas_pilot

As compared to a direct hit from the sun by its electromagnetic pulse it exudes daily. That will bring the pain.

texas_pilot

Sun blasting out and catching our cycle is 360 x 360* 2 axis ? Plus time and intensity/ depth unless the moon intercepted , yeah a nice cave would be an upgrade- a hit movie

Fixtur

Prefamulated Amulite
Oh Christ not this again.

A pole reversal does not mean we lose our magnetosphere, means it switches polarity, which it has been in the process of doing since, uh, forever.

We are not going to get cooked by the solar rays. The worst that’s going to happen is KOAK RWY30 becomes RWY12 over many many decades. Everyone carry on as normal, and maybe read a science book or something.

Fix

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
I’ve seen a bunch of runways renamed in my short career. It’s happening, hold on to your iPads folks, it’s gonna be a crazy ride! (Over the next 500 years)

tomokc

Twitter post linking a WaPo story: "The shutdown is poised to screw with your phone's GPS because there are no federal scientists to keep track of a North Pole that's shifting at a rate of 30 MILES A YEAR."