Lowrance vs. Garmin handhelds?

Center_Mid

I'm looking to buy an aviation handheld - anything from the Lowrance 500 to the Garmin 196. The Lowrance Airmap 1000 looks like a reasonable mid-point between the smaller, cheaper handhelds and the all-powerful 196. Has anyone used the 1000 at all? I don't know much about Lowrance's avionics reputation, though I know that they've been in the marine instrument business for a long time. I've checked all of the old posts regarding handhelds and few folks had much to say about Lowrance. All advice appreciated!

250blue

I don't know if they still make it, but I have a Lowance Airmap 300 and it was a great purchase. I used it all of the time when flying AC without GPS.

Center_Mid

I don't know if they still make it. I haven't found anyone who sells the 300. Did it come with a yoke bracket?

250blue

Yes, it did and a nicaid batteriy and a backup battery pack which uses AA (you would probably go through those pretty quick though). The antennae detaches if you want to "suction" it to the windshield also. Check Ebay for handhelds, you may get a good deal from someone who doesn't use thiers anymore.