Loan payments...

mshunter

I refinanced my loans through Citizen's Bank with a fixed rate loan. The interest rate is higher than I would have preferred but still far less than it was when it was variable. Interest rate aside, my main goal when refinancing was to get my brother off the old loans.

Might be worth checking them out if you haven't yet
I'll have to look at them. Do you remember what type of loan it was?

DogwoodLynx

I was talking to a friend today who just got on at one of the better paying regionals. I asked him if he was excited to finally make a decent income so he can quit working two jobs. He laughed then said due to his 1100 dollar student loan payment he needs to. Apparently that is the total of two loans, he was previously making less money and deferred the higher loan. I still cannot get over that rediculous amount of money he has to fork over every month, 1100 dollars!!? That has to be way higher than normal right?

That got me thinking, I wonder what’s the percentage of regional pilots that are making high payments and on multiple loans due to money available for funding at the time of training. I’ve heard upwards of 500 and even one that had 700, but 1100 seems like a serious rip off even if it is the combination of two loans. His debt was greater than 100k so I’m assuming most kids coming from similar places like UND or Riddle have that amount to pay back if Mom and Dad didn’t pay for it.

Are these loans pretty long term? I know the program I went to worked with Wells Fargo and if the students qualified for government loans they would mix the two in order to cover 80k worth of training and education. So I’m guessing you can only defer the government loans, or does Wells Fargo allow deferment due to low income?

Yep. I figured this out at 18 and said thanks but no thanks. I went against the wishes of pretty much everyone but here I am working at a regional as a dispatcher with no college debt.

EAD

I'll have to look at them. Do you remember what type of loan it was?
It's just their refinancing option for student loans. Link

If you got a degree out of your student loans then you should look into other lenders like SoFi as well. Most student loan refinance lenders want the degree and Citizen's was the only one I found that didn't.

Boris Badenov

He comes to save the day in a broken truck.
Someone mentioned it back there a ways, but if you want a villain in all of this mess, look no further than *drumroll* the lending industry! That's right, AGAIN! The federal government has absolutely no business in, uh, the business of insuring debt. Then they doubled down and made it undischargable in bankruptcy. Wonder who got paid off on that one. Net result for you, Mr. Peasant? Exponential tuition increases, debt spiral, wage slavery, wholesale wealth transfer! Now get back to work, serf.

ppragman

Direct Yeska
Someone mentioned it back there a ways, but if you want a villain in all of this mess, look no further than *drumroll* the lending industry! That's right, AGAIN! The federal government has absolutely no business in, uh, the business of insuring debt. Then they doubled down and made it undischargable in bankruptcy. Wonder who got paid off on that one. Net result for you, Mr. Peasant? Exponential tuition increases, debt spiral, wage slavery, wholesale wealth transfer! Now get back to work, serf.
Eat the rich.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Well, at least they didn’t try it with real estate. That would have devastating consequences.

skypilot6

DogwoodLynx

You can save a lot of money by doing your first two years at a junior college, then transferring those credits to a 4-year institution where you can finish your degree.
Even Jr College is really expensive though and they try really hard to make people have to take remedial classes that you pay for but don’t transfer out of that school.

Google Confessions of a College Professor. It’s a blog. Read through all his data.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Could be worse. I did that for $16 an hour back in the early 90s. Funny thing is, I’m now flying 5 legs a day, to the same towns as then. At least I’m making more and the hotels are better.
With inflation that is close to $28. That's about what I was doing and living in Hawaii. There was a reason I was collecting bottles out of trash cans to take in on my days off. Without the tourists throwing those away, I would have been much skinnier!