1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listing Volunteering on AirlineApps

Discussion in 'Resume Assistance' started by Cloud Surfer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Having asked many where they list their volunteer activities for airlineapps, I have yet to find a decisive answer as to where someone could enter it in the application, although airlineapps does include a section for volunteering and charity work. Currently I'm putting volunteering in that section and my box shows this:

IMG_2668.PNG

I am wondering whether that will be sufficient and whether dates should also be included.

One friend of mine has included his volunteer work within the work subsection, and has labeled it as volunteer service so that they recognize it for that. I think that is one way of being more detailed about what kind of volunteer work and when it was done.

Any guidance about it is well appreciated, though. Thanks so much.

2. Hacker15e

Hacker15e Virtue Signaling Intersectional Nonbinary Otherkin

I would expound upon that as much as you can.

Before AirlineApps was updated with that section, I listed my volunteer work under the "Achievements and Awards" section. For each organization, I went into some detail about what specifically I did with the organization, and the dates/locations where I did it. Example:

"COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT:
    I am the Director of Sponsorship for the Autism On The Seas Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit foundation that provides financial grants for families who have members with Autism to take specially-staffed resort and cruise trips to promote mental health and family stability. Primarily, I organize and seek out fundraising and sponsorship opportunities, managing a $400,000 annual budget and a team of volunteers who both manage individual sponsors as well as seek out and solicit corporate donations and sponsorships (2013-present)"

Some sections on AirlineApps have character limits (for example, the job description windows only allow 500 characters) but the Achievements and Awards section had no limit. I don't know if that Volunteer/Charity Work section has a limit...if there isn't then I'd write as much detail as you can.

Cloud Surfer likes this.
  3. Vyse

Vyse BirchJet FO

FWIW, the advice I was given by a former airline recruiter/now interview prep type was that if it was an ongoing thing (say, the tutoring position) then put it under work.
    If it was a short term thing (say, you gardened for a couple of weekends or helped out for a month at the market) put it under volunteer work.

Cloud Surfer likes this.
  4. Cloud Surfer

Cloud Surfer Slinger of the Gear

Thank you so much, gentlemen!

5. Mavmb

Mavmb Well-Known Member

Some of the addendums of the airlines contain a spot for volunteer work or at least a prompt for a letter of recommendation.