Light Sport Repairman Maintenance - Airplane! x2!

hook_dupin

Ok... so it was pretty much just a nerdy vacation for my wife and I, but both of us are now Light Sport Repairpersons. We took the 15-day class at Rainbow Aviation in Corning, CA, so now we can legally dink with S-LSAs and E-LSAs.

After a few years of owner-assisted annuals and puttering on our RV-8 project, this was a pretty good next step. We eventually want to get a S-LSA in our little flight school, and this will help us to control costs.

The best part: My wife didn't have that much interest in being a pilot when I started working with her a few years ago. Now at the end of the course, she said "I don't really want to be a pilot, but I'd really like to be an A&P."

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Ok... so it was pretty much just a nerdy vacation for my wife and I, but both of us are now Light Sport Repairpersons. We took the 15-day class at Rainbow Aviation in Corning, CA, so now we can legally dink with S-LSAs and E-LSAs.

After a few years of owner-assisted annuals and puttering on our RV-8 project, this was a pretty good next step. We eventually want to get a S-LSA in our little flight school, and this will help us to control costs.

The best part: My wife didn't have that much interest in being a pilot when I started working with her a few years ago. Now at the end of the course, she said "I don't really want to be a pilot, but I'd really like to be an A&P."
This is way cool. I'm glad you two got to do that together.

I mean, your wife is already a totally awesome person anyway - the A&P part is the cherry on top, man.

Congrats!

z987k

I'm going to do the course this year. Very possibly the one you went to.
Can you count hours worked on LSA on your own ticket towards the A&P?

hook_dupin

I'm going to do the course this year. Very possibly the one you went to.
Can you count hours worked on LSA on your own ticket towards the A&P?
Yes... they've had folks do it already.

http://www.aviatorshotline.com/cont...ame-powerplant-inspection-authorization-ap-ia

There's only two LSRM courses in the US: the Rainbow folks in Corning and Blue Ridge Community College in VA.

I'm not sure I see same "light sport is going to be the future of aviation" outlook that some do, but I do see distinct advantages. I have a fair number of teenage students, and having a Sport Pilot License seems like a good rating for a 17 year old and can be done in a summer. I also have a lot of Army helo guys looking to build fixed wing PIC as soon as possible. I'd like to get a S-LSA so I can start taking care of those folks better.

It's not clear yet, but I do think the LSRM path will be similar for commercial UAS repairs when that becomes a thing. There just isn't enough A&P production in the US to support what Amazon wants to do.

z987k

It's not clear yet, but I do think the LSRM path will be similar for commercial UAS repairs when that becomes a thing. There just isn't enough A&P production in the US to support what Amazon wants to do.
There would be if they'd pay market wages for it.