1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leave UAL for FDX?

Discussion in 'Airline Pilots' started by MtnFlyer00, Apr 20, 2017 at 19:07.

1. MtnFlyer00

MtnFlyer00 Active Member

New guy on the forum seeking advice.

Currently 8 months at UAL. RSV commuter. 28 years old, will retire top 30. Single, no kids. Just received and invite to interview with FDX. Live in mountain west, neither FDX nor UAL have a base here.

Pros at FDX are the ease of commuting with reserved JS. Larger % of widebody flying. For the the most part, they don't have a dog in the ME3 fight or other joint venture type flying loss. And finally, mission oriented style flying. No pax, terminal bag drag, FAs, TSA, etc. Pension + 8% D.C. Hard line bidding with conflict.

Cons are easily the night flying, the possibility of autonomous airliners in the future, Amazon style threats, as well as a potentially changing trade climate. Longer commute.

UAL has been great, but the volitility of the pax airline industry can be worrisome at times. Joint ventures, ME3 threats, etc. Also, when you're flying larger widebody equipment, you're essentially flying all nighters as well. RJ's, more 175's, etc.

I'll commute forever for both. This is one of my single biggest concerns.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 19:51
  2. Der_Meister

Der_Meister Well-Known Member

Enjoy the extra 8 months seniority. I'm 30 at delta and wouldn't give it up for a package company at all. I didn't a few to many SDF>HNL and saw what the back side of the clock flying did the guys, no thank you....

3. jtrain609

jtrain609 Director of Operations at Tycho Station.

Where do you live? SLC? If so the commute to SFO blows. BZN or BOI? Probably worse.

But not bad enough to change horses mid stream.

MtnFlyer00 likes this.
  4. MtnFlyer00

MtnFlyer00 Active Member

First one. ;-)

5. DE727UPS

DE727UPS Well-Known Member

One word: Pension.

The profit sharing is something I don't see but I've been around long enough to see no profits at the PAX airlines. What does the future hold? The optimist would stay at UAL. The pessimist would go to FDX. I'd at least go to the interview and see if they offer you a job. That might make for an easier decision.....

6. MtnFlyer00

MtnFlyer00 Active Member

Exactly. A HUGE hurdle ahead as their interview process isn't exactly a walk in the park.

7. PeanuckleCRJ

PeanuckleCRJ Poodle Wrangler

I tend to consider it a wash... here's my reasoning:

I got the call from FDX back in 2007 not that long after I started at DL. For me it was too difficult to give up what I saw as buying low on something very promising (they were still in bankruptcy but clearly on the upswing, plus I'm slated to be number 1 for about 3 years). Kind of ironic given how hard I pimped trying to get that elusive FDX interview.

10 years in, I'm very happy with the decision. I certainly wouldn't have been uphappy at FDX, either, though.

Adler likes this.
  8. GypsyPilot

GypsyPilot Well-Known Member

Damn, you hit the lottery twice! Wish I knew what you guys are doing. What a great dilemma to have! As a now 40 year old RJ guy, this sure is depressing.

tcco94, Adler, Eagle421flyer and 2 others like this.
  9. bLizZuE

bLizZuE Learning to Fly FiFi

Go to FDX.

ps- I'm junior to you.

But seriously, I would stay.

Finny likes this.
  10. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu Whale Barista

Cargo is awesome. That's all I have to add.

11. jtrain609

Bid LAX, it's a much easier commute.

12. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

I know someone who left DL for FDX last year. It must not be an easy decision.

If you're truly going to commute for the whole career at either one that could be your biggest point and the thing that could help or hinder your QOL the most.

The night stuff is also a consideration and I don't know if it's the same as saying "international at a legacy is unusual hours anyway." I think the long haul stuff at cargo carriers would be a fair comparison but the domestic cargo night stuff is not. I'm a night owl myself, but there is a big difference in going to bed at 2-3AM and waking up at 9-10AM if one's schedule allows...and going to bed at 8-9AM and trying to sleep until 4PM for a full night's sleep.

Nobody has the crystal ball but personally I still think FDX offers more long term stability.

FedEx is a verb.

In the last few months, FedEx trucks have driven by me in Laos . . . in Fiji . . . in Vanuatu . . . in Italy. A truly global brand.

See what happens following the interview. Only then will you have a difficult decision to make.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 03:21
    WestIndian425 likes this.
  13. jetn67

jetn67 Well-Known Member

Definitely do the interview but I don't see any company in the future having an A fund
    type pension so I wouldn't be taking that into
    consideration ..Your getting yearly profit sharing checks now at United which they don't have over there ..That adds up over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ozziecat35

ozziecat35 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.

28 years old, at United...and looking elsewhere...now I've seen it all.

15. jtrain609

He's doing a pretty terrible commute right now. SLC is a tough place to commute from on United, as there aren't a lot of mainline flights. There are zero to LAX, and maybe one a day to SFO?

The ease of your commute changes life drastically.

16. GypsyPilot

Huh? Are you being sarcastic? Maybe not lots of mainline flights, but there are tons of flights. Commuting to MEM would somehow be better?

This guy is probably going to have DEN as an option within the year as well.

Attached Files:

17. jtrain609

Not sarcastic at all, and the commute is a bear because of your colleagues. Skywest pilots refuse to leave Zion, and commute to LAX/SFO/ORD/IAH on their own metal, making it nearly impossible to get on the jumpseat.

And that's their right to do so, but it's what makes commuting out of SLC so painful if you're offline.

LAX is easier than SFO since there are multiple airlines serving LAX, including Southwest and Alaska, and Jetblue to Long Beach if you get in a pinch.

FedEx has two flights leaving every morning from SLC to Memphis, making PM shifts fully commutable.

Screaming_Emu likes this.
  18. MikeFavinger

MikeFavinger Well-Known Member

What app is that screenshot from?

19. GypsyPilot

There are also lots of options on mainline Delta as well as Southwest. Commuting to an earlier time zone, most likely as a lineholder? I'll take that ANY time over commuting across the country to sit in a crashpad in MEM.

20. GypsyPilot