1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lateral Moves In Part 121..

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by METARd, Apr 20, 2017.

1. METARd

METARd Well-Known Member

When location isn't an issue and pay is relatively similar, does it ever make sense to take another job with a part 121 regional? Is ExpressJet an upgrade over SkyWest? Should you go anywhere else other than PSA? Thoughts... Should you be the best dispatcher you can at whatever regional you're at and make connections and long term commitments?

2. Luigi

Luigi Well-Known Member

OO is probably an upgrade over most regionals. If you don't mind the location. And yes, it could make sense, if you were at a lesser known regional with a bad reputation like PSA.

3. METARd

METARd Well-Known Member

We just had a dispatcher leave for Skywest with 6 months experience. I guess I'm trying to figure out that line between what is an upgrade and what isn't.

4. oktex88

oktex88 Well-Known Member

I left a Part 121 Regional after 6 months or so to go to SkyWest. I felt SkyWest was a upgrade.

JDRUNNER and crow like this.
  5. LX Sport

LX Sport Well-Known Member

Anyone I've met that worked at Skywest has nothing but good things to say about them, other than location.

We seem to hire plenty of Expressjet people as well. Usually a few in each class it seems like, so that's gotta count for something.

6. oktex88

oktex88 Well-Known Member

I thought the location at SkyWest was great. You are surrounded by amazing scenery there. Lots of amazing mountain biking and hiking trail close by. Great off-road vehicle areas for 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, razors, etc. Some of the best National Parks are close by with epic hikes. Las Vegas is under 2 hours away.

Attached Files:

Doolittle likes this.
  7. JDRUNNER

JDRUNNER Well-Known Member

SkyWest is by far the best regional and major seem to love their peeps.

8. lionrock

lionrock Well-Known Member

Can certainly attest to that...

Besides, a place is as good as what you make of it. I certainly enjoyed my time in SGU and maximized what it has to offer with the outdoor activities. Will definitely go back there to visit. Not to mention, the proximity to LAS gives you variety should you need it. Also, OO probably has the best travel benefits out there compared to other regionals, with 4 dedicated airline partners and an extensive list of jumpseat and ZED agreements, so if you don't want to stay in SGU on your weekends, you can choose to fly somewhere else. Definitely made good use of those benefits during my stint.

And yes, OO peeps from what I've seen seem to get hired by larger companies a lot. Every time there's a sizeable opening from a large airline, you can bet at least one spot will go to OO (I know cause that's what happened to me lol)

METARd and JDRUNNER like this.
  9. Flagship_dxer

Flagship_dxer The Penis Mightier

The thing to keep in mind about lateral moves in Part 121 is that all regionals are subject to pretty high attrition particularly when mainline, LCCs and supplementals are hiring. This extends to management positions. Part 121 regionals are also subject to changes in the strategy of the mainline carrier they work for. Thus the regional that is the good one to work for today may not be the good one tomorrow.

METARd likes this.
  10. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

I did this a couple times - both for economic/company health reasons (one time, I left a carrier that was in Chapter 11 and the second time, the place I was working went out of business completely.) I still ended up at a major eventually. I think it doesn't look bad on your resume as long as you're not switching jobs every year.

METARd likes this.
  11. 4EngineETOPS

4EngineETOPS Well-Known Member

Are there any opinions on moving to LCCs/non-FX and 5X cargo carriers (i.e. Atlas, Polar, JetBlue, Allegiant, Alaska, etc) after a year or two at a regional vs. building seniority and rank at a regional? A friend of mine that I worked with at ORD (intl station ops type company) recently got on at a regional and plans on trying to stick it out (maybe getting into management) until the majors eventually come calling. I am of the opinion that jumping to an LCC when the opportunity arises is the better path in terms of QOL, but I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those more experienced than I. I still have a couple weeks before my practical and a little over a year until I turn 23, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on the best path to take. Obviously things will change, but it's good to have a general plan. Thanks.

12. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

Im a little confused here:

A friend of mine that I worked with at ORD (intl station ops type company) recently got on at a regional and plans on trying to stick it out (maybe getting into management) until the majors eventually come calling.

Is he working as a pilot? Because if he is, the majors are NOT going to just come calling. You gotta go after that major job

13. 4EngineETOPS

4EngineETOPS Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that he got a job as a regional dispatcher (not a pilot). My question is concerning moving to an LCC after dispatching at a regional vs. vertical growth within the regional. I know the majors won't "come calling" (poorly worded), I'm moreso wondering if the better path for both QOL and future major airline job prospects is to move to an LCC as soon as practical or to stay with the regional and gain years/seniority with that airline.

14. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

Well, my career path was regional-regional-LCC-regional-major. I probably would have stayed at the LCC indefinitely had they continued expanding and been successful (along the lines of JetBlue.) When they went out of business, though, I had to go with who was hiring and interested in me. Still, it was good experience and perhaps made me more attractive to the major that hired my a few years down the road.

It really depends on the regional you are at. If it's a place you like, that's pays decently for a regional, it might be worth it to hang around. If there are things you don't like about it, then try the LCC route. There is no one career path that is right for everyone in this industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk