LAS Controller "Event"

FlyingAccountant

Just because she finished a required rehab after a DUI does not mean she is an alcoholic. She may have been a non drinker and it was her first time to try any alcohol and got caught. She was fine for an hour or more before this incident began.

The facts are that no one here knows the circumstances. Anyone here going to come back and say they're sorry for jumping to a conclusion if it is proved a medical issue?
I think you underestimate how quickly a true alcoholic can get trashed. My cousin is an alcoholic. She can finish a fifth of vodka in less than half an hour.

There's an old saying in medicine, "If you hear footsteps, think horses, not zebras", meaning given the symptoms, don't jump to the least likely, most improbable diagnosis, which in this case, is a stroke.

“We have thoroughly reviewed the incident and confirmed that no safety events or losses of required separation between aircraft occurred, and there were no conflicts between aircraft on the airfield,” the federal agency said. “However, the FAA is very concerned about this incident and what occurred is not acceptable.” (emphasis mine)
Yeah, if you read the news reports, there's some verbiage being thrown around that suggests this might be something other than a medical event.

Box hauler

I think you underestimate how quickly a true alcoholic can get trashed. My cousin is an alcoholic. She can finish a fifth of vodka in less than half an hour.

There's an old saying in medicine, "If you hear footsteps, think horses, not zebras", meaning given the symptoms, don't jump to the least likely, most improbable diagnosis, which in this case, is a stroke.

Yeah, if you read the news reports, there's some verbiage being thrown around that suggests this might be something other than a medical event.
Yeah... because that's what the news does to make it sound juicy so people tune in. I'm surprised they didn't head to a commercial break with " did ISIS drug a Las Vegas air traffic controller to attack our aviation safety? More on that after the break"

Old Boeing Driver

If you read my post, I said no one here knows the circumstances....that would include me...I will offer my apologies if it is proven she was drunk on the job. Until then, I will not jump to a conclusion. I only offered a possible scenario.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Yeah... because that's what the news does to make it sound juicy so people tune in. I'm surprised they didn't head to a commercial break with " did ISIS drug a Las Vegas air traffic controller to attack our aviation safety? More on that after the break"
The verbiage is direct quotes from faa officials.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
If you read my post, I said no one here knows the circumstances....that would include me...I will offer my apologies if it is proven she was drunk on the job. Until then, I will not jump to a conclusion. I only offered a possible scenario.
Its ok to jump to a conclusion. We're just talking here. We arent in any official capacity and were not in court.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
If she was intoxicated:

I'm pissed someone was drinking on the job. Just as im pissed with someone who drinks and drives. I'm also hoping they get themselves help to fight whatever theyre fighting. But once theyve crossed the line of doing it on the job/air/road you're F-in up other peoples worlds and I would expect severe consequences.

flybywp

Quote from another source:

"SLF here, but an EMT. - What I listened to certainly does fit the profile of a stroke from training and similar to witnessed events.
The coughing was probably due to loss of facial/throat muscular control, I would expect to see the face fallen on one side. Unlikely to be a TIA (Transient Ischemic Event) due to the length and apparent degree of the event. Not very good news that she seemed to be working alone. Stroke awareness."

Hope she is OK.
As a Paramedic, I can tell you it's impossible to tell what she could be suffering from just by listening to this tape. It could be a number of things, medical in nature or not. Stroke would not be my first assumption in this situation, but it's a possibility. I will say I highly doubt alcohol intoxication is the cause. Assuming she was fine just prior to this event, the sudden onset doesn't fit a case of alcohol intoxication.

What is mindblowing to me is that countless pilots checked on and 15+ minutes passes before anyone actually did something about it (that we know of). We're taught to think outside the box in nearly every training scenario, how can we not recognize that something is not right in this situation? Medical or not, I hope she is ok.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
That’s kind of my thought as well. LAS isn’t exactly quiet at night.

I haven’t read all of the thread, but at some point, someone had to think outside of the box and just call approach
Almost anytime you’re on Approach or tower after 1130/1200 it’s one person. I work EWR/TEB by myself and sometimes we are as busy at 1am as we are at 5pm.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
I don’t think pilots understand how small a world ATC is. Probably almost every controller on this forum knows someone personally at either LAS tower or TRACON.
Not a controller, but I do stare out the window for a living, and my ATC friends know people in LAS. They have told me some information, but I am not going to repeat it as it not my place and is it unofficial gossip at this point. An event this significant can't be ignored and we will all see the report when it is ready.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I don’t think pilots understand how small a world ATC is. Probably almost every controller on this forum knows someone personally at either LAS tower or TRACON.
Honestly, I really don't. My only exposure was getting bored and hanging out with Dwayne in the tower at Reid-Hillview on occasion.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Honestly, I really don't. My only exposure was getting bored and hanging out with Dwayne in the tower at Reid-Hillview on occasion.
I mean I wouldn’t expect y’all to know that. Just like I don’t know anything about what it’s like to be a professional pilot other than our shared god complexes.

ian

Not a controller, but I do stare out the window for a living, and my ATC friends know people in LAS. They have told me some information, but I am not going to repeat it as it not my place and is it unofficial gossip at this point. An event this significant can't be ignored and we will all see the report when it is ready.
So why even make that post? Just to show you know more about the situation than others but you want to play I have a secret?

Prino

That’s kind of my thought as well. LAS isn’t exactly quiet at night.

I haven’t read all of the thread, but at some point, someone had to think outside of the box and just call approach
Typically the tower is one man Once the mid crew comes in. As far as the tracon goes there’s 2-3 scopes going till midnight if traffic warrants it

Prino

Next time you’re in town give me a heads up. I’d love to show you around the tracon and tower.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
So why even make that post? Just to show you know more about the situation than others but you want to play I have a secret?
Negative. More to validate @NovemberEcho's point. This is a small community and that people are talking about it, it wasn't my intention to play I have a secret, and I apologize if it came off that way. I'm the last guy to play the I know something you don't know game, I just keep my mouth shut.