LAS Controller "Event"

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Medical issue or not, this just reinforces to me how unsafe single person mids are at facilities where the mid isn’t a joke.

The busiest session of my work week is between 345-545am when I’m working the red eye rush into LAX from Hawaii and the South Pacific all by myself, as well as working non radar departure and arrival clearances off SBA and NTD airspace because they don’t work a mid shift so we just cover them overnight. Totally safe for one person to be there doing that all at 330AM while he’s exhausted. And that’s without whatever happened to this controller here.

Single man mids are unsafe and it goes all the way back to Uberlingen. Obviously more factors there but if there wasn’t one guy watching a ridiculous amount of airspace it would never have happened.
There are times after a 12-2am push where I feel like Will Ferrels character after the debate in Old School

Box hauler

Hypothetically, if this did turn out to be an alcohol related event and not a medical one would the controller face jail time the same as a pilot would?

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Hypothetically, if this did turn out to be an alcohol related event and not a medical one would the controller face jail time the same as a pilot would?
It’s certainly a possibility.

Word on some ATC forums is this was her first week back from mandatory rehab after a dui earlier in the year.

nabbyfan

Dude, I always hated that time of day.
It’s the worst. It seems like everyone, me and the pilots, are tired and pissed off that we’re there haha. And all the inbounds come over Non radar separated, but generally all in a dead ass tie for the airport. It’s fun when you have 9 aircraft that have flown somewhere between 4-13 hours to get to me, then I have to vector them over the place to get some kind of spacing. Then you get the random United guy that can obviously hear what’s going on and that the airport is West, and gets all pissy because I deny his request to fly straight in for 6L.

Yay for mids! The confusing thing for me listening to the tapes is at one point she’s switching people to ground, but I would assume she’s all combined up at that point. Just makes no sense. Very odd to me that it took so long for anybody to either make a phone call from the cockpit or just tune LAS DEP and say hey there’s a serious issue in the tower.

Old Boeing Driver

Quote from another source:

"SLF here, but an EMT. - What I listened to certainly does fit the profile of a stroke from training and similar to witnessed events.
The coughing was probably due to loss of facial/throat muscular control, I would expect to see the face fallen on one side. Unlikely to be a TIA (Transient Ischemic Event) due to the length and apparent degree of the event. Not very good news that she seemed to be working alone. Stroke awareness."

Hope she is OK.

queeno

Ward of the Guberment
Well let me say IF this controller had a drug/alcohol problem and IF she was just back from MANDATORY REHAB her career as a ATCS in the FFA is OVER and i mean no appeal OVER , in the FFA they give you ONE CHANCE for drug /alcohol abuse and you have to agree to go to mandatory rehab and abstain from both drugs and alcohol for the remainder of your career in a last chance agreement !!!!!

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
"Jetcareers gets the scoop, we'll tell you what really happened after these commercials.". It's not as if any news sources ever search the internet and land here.
I’m sure they’d check out the ATC places first where there’s people who work there.

FlyingAccountant

Quote from another source:

"SLF here, but an EMT. - What I listened to certainly does fit the profile of a stroke from training and similar to witnessed events.
The coughing was probably due to loss of facial/throat muscular control, I would expect to see the face fallen on one side. Unlikely to be a TIA (Transient Ischemic Event) due to the length and apparent degree of the event. Not very good news that she seemed to be working alone. Stroke awareness."

Hope she is OK.
Statistically speaking, it's far more likely that she was trashed off alcohol than suffering a stroke.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Statistically speaking, it's far more likely that she was trashed off alcohol than suffering a stroke.
Statiscally speaking you were probably touched by an uncle and your mom was raped before she married your father. Statiscally speaking only of course.

Last edited:

JDean3204

Well let me say IF this controller had a drug/alcohol problem and IF she was just back from MANDATORY REHAB her career as a ATCS in the FFA is OVER and i mean no appeal OVER , in the FFA they give you ONE CHANCE for drug /alcohol abuse and you have to agree to go to mandatory rehab and abstain from both drugs and alcohol for the remainder of your career in a last chance agreement !!!!!
You’re right, the Future Farmers of America don’t mess around with alcohol related incidents!! :D

IamNegan

Regardless of what some say, to me, it really points to signs of a stroke (maybe a TIA)...With that said and If what some were saying is true that she is on some sort of a program - it very well also could be shock from the lack of alcohol in her body because she has been dependent on it, which alone can cause issue but also alcohol could cause one to have a stroke who still drink mass quantities.

With out getting into to much details, only reason why I think she was, I have experience with it personally having witness some of the similar actions I heard but I do not want to speculate. I hope she is well.

Old Boeing Driver

Just because she finished a required rehab after a DUI does not mean she is an alcoholic. She may have been a non drinker and it was her first time to try any alcohol and got caught. She was fine for an hour or more before this incident began.

The facts are that no one here knows the circumstances. Anyone here going to come back and say they're sorry for jumping to a conclusion if it is proved a medical issue?

Prino

Just because she finished a required rehab after a DUI does not mean she is an alcoholic. She may have been a non drinker and it was her first time to try any alcohol and got caught. She was fine for an hour or more before this incident began.

The facts are that no one here knows the circumstances. Anyone here going to come back and say they're sorry for jumping to a conclusion if it is proved a medical issue?
YOU don’t know the circumstances. And I’ll be the first to apologize for jumping to a conclusion if it is proved to be a medical issue. I also expect the same from people when you find out I’m right

Ajax

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
YOU don’t know the circumstances. And I’ll be the first to apologize for jumping to a conclusion if it is proved to be a medical issue. I also expect the same from people when you find out I’m right
No, because slinging such an accusation is negative and damaging to someone and their career. It's an attack on them. Insinuating a medical event is not an attack, it's an innocuous statement.

You can prevent becoming chemically incapacitated while at work, you cannot prevent a medical incapacitation.