LAS Controller "Event"

obx

Sorry if speaking factually is a character flaw then I need to check my moral compass.
I think the insinuation of your posts is quite clear. You want to let everyone know what happened without saying the words. You clearly have some level of inside information and you chose to share that anonymously on a public message board. It seems, to me, to be a betrayal of confidentiality to share that.

Even if her incapacitation is self-induced, it’s not your job to disclose that. It’s a private personnel and medical matter that’s really no one’s business. You might argue that the public has a right or interest to know the information, but that’s dubious. Even if true, it’s not your job to tell us.

Wether her incapacitation is self-induced—as you imply—or one of a myriad of other conditions that could induce a similar event, this is a human being who was clearly experiencing what was likely the worst day of her life. To share it in the manner in which you did reeks of sactomiousness.

AM011309

IF what he said is true then I don’t really care if it’s the “worst day of her life” boohoo. Glad nothing happened to make it the worst day of a lot of other peoples lives, in case people forgot there are people including pilots like you on those planes and “””””illness””””” or not that’s so beyond inexcusable and out of line. Deserves the harshest punishment if someone did something like that. It’s criminal. Hypothetically speaking of course.

AAPalmTree

“””””illness”””””
Comments like this show a lack of understanding/education. You’re extremely right on your other point, very bad day for all involved. We are extremely lucky nothing happened.

As far as the booze, you should learn what happens when people with this “illness” are not given help and it drives them further underground in big safety related jobs. Usually, when you argue with professionals with years of experience and research it doesn’t turn out well.

obx

IF what he said is true then I don’t really care if it’s the “worst day of her life” boohoo. Glad nothing happened to make it the worst day of a lot of other peoples lives, in case people forgot there are people including pilots like you on those planes and “””””illness””””” or not that’s so beyond inexcusable and out of line. Deserves the harshest punishment if someone did something like that. It’s criminal. Hypothetically speaking of course.
I’m not going to debate with you whether or not addiction is a disease, other than to say you’re on the wrong side of the argument vis a vis nearly every single medical and mental healthcare professional in the world.

And if she does have the disease of addiction—as implied by thesoonerkid—that fact does not endemnify her from any responsibility. I never made that argument. My point was that it’s not thesoonerkid’s responsibility to mete out that punishment or to disclose the nature of her incapacitation. Not any more than it would be right for him to tell us that one of his coworkers had any other disease or illness.

This situation is between her and the FAA. If at some point she’s charged with a crime, that becomes public information. She’s afforded due process throughout.

Pilot Fighter

I’m not going to debate with you whether or not addiction is a disease, other than to say you’re on the wrong side of the argument vis a vis nearly every single medical and mental healthcare professional in the world.
While just about every medical and mental healthcare worker has chosen to treat substance abuse using the "disease model", there is very little debate among doctors whether it fits the medical definition of disease, it doesn't. Decades ago, those in substance abuse treatment went out of their way to make the distinction between disease and disease model, now they rarely do.

These days, most treatment professionals have undergrad work in social work or counseling, receiving very little clinical or medical training. Many would tell you substance abuse is a disease but can't point to any place in their formal education where they were taught that.

What they do know is that it's in the DSM-5 and they know how to submit billing to Medicare, Medicaid, and insurance carriers.

I have three close relatives and a girlfriend that work in substance abuse treatment and have post-grad degrees. They don't believe it's a disease, but they find it effective to use the "disease model" in treatment.

Calling it a disease diminishes some of the social stigma of addiction and most professionals believe that removing the stigma is beneficial to treatment, so they rarely care to debate the matter. Browse through the DSM-5 and you'll find many serious behaviors that aren't considered diseases.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
What if someone pumped nitrous oxide into the room?

What if she was huffing freon out of the air conditioner ?

What if she was secretly a drug mule and the bag of narcotics ruptured ?

Do you see how productive the what if game is with the limited information we have at this point ?

JordanD

Honorary Member
Make an alcoholic quit cold turkey and the withdrawals will probably literally kill them. Kind of sounds like an illness to me.

AM011309

I was referring to the general audience as pilots encountering an incapacitated controller. There was no reason for that to go on for 15+ minutes. You call approach/departure, they can shut down the whole operation from there and send help.
Ohhhh I see -yes definitely. I was thinking you meant the controller while controlling to ask for help.

Make an alcoholic quit cold turkey and the withdrawals will probably literally kill them. Kind of sounds like an illness to me.
Good point, the alcoholics should be allowed to drink whenever/wherever on/off the job to make sure they don’t die.

JordanD

Honorary Member
Ohhhh I see -yes definitely. I was thinking you meant the controller while controlling to ask for help.

Good point, the alcoholics should be allowed to drink whenever/wherever on/off the job to make sure they don’t die.
The level of mental gymnastics you had to do to think that was my point must have been exhausting. If I gets case of terminal herpes (for example) tomorrow and that’s a disqualifying condition, my medical gets taken away until I can safely do my job.
I suppose you are against the HIMS program.

Prino

Until more facts are out — real facts rather than, "I heard," without attribution — there's only one word to describe some of the posts in this thread:

Schadenfreude (Gawd, how I love being able to finally put that word to use!)
It gives me no pleasure in seeing the misfortunes of this person, or any other fellow controller for that matter.

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
Sorry if speaking factually is a character flaw then I need to check my moral compass.
If it's a fact, then please provide some sort of evidence to back up this fact.

Based on your username it's entirely possible you're a coworker of this controller which makes publicly throwing her under the bus that much worse.

Prino

If it's a fact, then please provide some sort of evidence to back up this fact.

Based on your username it's entirely possible you're a coworker of this controller which makes publicly throwing her under the bus that much worse.
I’m going to let the news do it’s thing. You guys will find out what you need to find out in due time. I’m just here to say that she wasn’t having a stroke and she’s not a coworker

nabbyfan

Medical issue or not, this just reinforces to me how unsafe single person mids are at facilities where the mid isn’t a joke.

The busiest session of my work week is between 345-545am when I’m working the red eye rush into LAX from Hawaii and the South Pacific all by myself, as well as working non radar departure and arrival clearances off SBA and NTD airspace because they don’t work a mid shift so we just cover them overnight. Totally safe for one person to be there doing that all at 330AM while he’s exhausted. And that’s without whatever happened to this controller here.

Single man mids are unsafe and it goes all the way back to Uberlingen. Obviously more factors there but if there wasn’t one guy watching a ridiculous amount of airspace it would never have happened.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
Medical issue or not, this just reinforces to me how unsafe single person mids are at facilities where the mid isn’t a joke.

The busiest session of my work week is between 345-545am when I’m working the red eye rush into LAX from Hawaii and the South Pacific all by myself, as well as working non radar departure and arrival clearances off SBA and NTD airspace because they don’t work a mid shift so we just cover them overnight. Totally safe for one person to be there doing that all at 330AM while he’s exhausted. And that’s without whatever happened to this controller here.

Single man mids are unsafe and it goes all the way back to Uberlingen. Obviously more factors there but if there wasn’t one guy watching a ridiculous amount of airspace it would never have happened.
Dude, I always hated that time of day.