LAS Controller "Event"

tomokc

My mother died of alcoholism. Died in my arms. Watched her chest rise and fall with her last breath. I sympathize with those who have fought this disease/illness/whatever, but taking it behind the wheel, taking it to work, putting other lives at risk, that changes everything.

mrivc211

Lol I noticed all the alcohol sympathizers got real quiet
I'm so thankful I never got into alcohol. I remember when my airline pushed the alcohol rule to 12 hours over night from 8 hours. So many pilots complained that they switched it back within hours. These are the same pilots that turned down ALPA by over 65%. They can live without ALPA but not their alcohol.

mrivc211

My mother died of alcoholism. Died in my arms. Watched her chest rise and fall with her last breath. I sympathize with those who have fought this disease/illness/whatever, but taking it behind the wheel, taking it to work, putting other lives at risk, that changes everything.
:(sorry, witnessed that as well last year with my aunt by her bedside when they pulled the plug.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Relapse is a part of recovery. If any of ya'll have tried to quit smoking, and failed over, and over, and over, and over again before you found success, then you've already experienced relapse when trying to stop using an addictive substance. Alcohol and drugs are no different.

Why Relapse Isn't a Sign of Failure

Additionally, if someone is self medicating for anxiety/depression, it's no wonder they'd relapse with the FAA's draconian policies on SSRI usage.

A150K

I'm so thankful I never got into alcohol. I remember when my airline pushed the alcohol rule to 12 hours over night from 8 hours. So many pilots complained that they switched it back within hours. These are the same pilots that turned down ALPA by over 65%. They can live without ALPA but not their alcohol.
I enjoy a beer or a glass of wine as much as the next guy, but guys who complain about the 12 hour need to get a grip...Long overnight? Sure, I'll meet up for a beverage if I'm with a good crew. 8 or 9 hours until Showtime? I'm going to bed.

So when is the collective going to apologize to @Prino who called it what it was from the beginning?
I was one for giving her the benefit of the doubt until more facts surfaced.

In a sad way, I was really hoping it was a medical emergency and not a drunk problem.

Sorry if I offended Prino, or anyone else for posting that it might not have been as he described. He was right all along. Great call.

Last edited:
Relapse is a part of recovery. If any of ya'll have tried to quit smoking, and failed over, and over, and over, and over again before you found success, then you've already experienced relapse when trying to stop using an addictive substance. Alcohol and drugs are no different.

Why Relapse Isn't a Sign of Failure

Additionally, if someone is self medicating for anxiety/depression, it's no wonder they'd relapse with the FAA's draconian policies on SSRI usage.
Plus, if you're currently conscious and not at least a bit anxious and/or depressed, there's a very good chance you are mentally ill.

Last edited:
I think you underestimate how quickly a true alcoholic can get trashed. My cousin is an alcoholic. She can finish a fifth of vodka in less than half an hour.

There's an old saying in medicine, "If you hear footsteps, think horses, not zebras", meaning given the symptoms, don't jump to the least likely, most improbable diagnosis, which in this case, is a stroke.

Yeah, if you read the news reports, there's some verbiage being thrown around that suggests this might be something other than a medical event.
I think what the good doctor meant to say was "If you hear hoofbeats..."
Me? when I hear footsteps, I'm usually looking for an administrator or a dude with a gun. But who's counting? ;)

I still wish her well. Her career is over, as it should be, and there will be a media hailstorm most likely, as there should be, but her life continues and hopefully this major life event leads to self evaluation and a drive to change. Most people get angry, but these kinds of things just make me feel sad for people, to get to this point.

JDean3204

I still wish her well. Her career is over, as it should be, and there will be a media hailstorm most likely, as there should be, but her life continues and hopefully this major life event leads to self evaluation and a drive to change. Most people get angry, but these kinds of things just make me feel sad for people, to get to this point.
I agree man. She must have been in a pretty bad spot to have gotten as intoxicated as she did while at work. Not saying she doesn’t deserve the wrath she is about to face because she does. I just hope she finds help and can find another career, or anything positive in life to help her away from alcohol. As much as she screwed the pooch here, she deserves a good crack at life still, just not as a controller or any other serious safety sensitive position.

A80TRACON

I do the best imitation of myself
The FAA, just like most airlines /havehas, or at least had, programs in place for individuals with substance abuse issues.

For her to have resigned / quit so quickly means something else has gone wrong or went wrong previously.

jtsastre

I agree man. She must have been in a pretty bad spot to have gotten as intoxicated as she did while at work. Not saying she doesn’t deserve the wrath she is about to face because she does. I just hope she finds help and can find another career, or anything positive in life to help her away from alcohol. As much as she screwed the pooch here, she deserves a good crack at life still, just not as a controller or any other serious safety sensitive position.
Agree 100%. She obviously shouldn’t be controlling in her condition, but we should all hope she seeks help and gets better. I’d never wish what she’s going through on anyone.