LAS Controller "Event"

mooneyguy

been around forever
Here is a long shot, but last night 11/7 after ground and tower were combined the tower controller (klas) starting having big problems communicating. It seemed she was very confused and disoriented. It progressively got worse over about a 40 min period. Numerous planes trying to take off began calling ramp to report it. It finally got to the point where she wasn’t talking at all and at the end she keyed the mic and left it open. You could here her coughing. Finally someone arrived and took over. Inbounds were put into holding.
Any chance anyone knows anything. I hope she is ok, and assumed hearing this she was having some sort of medical episode.
Even harder to believe but apparently she was alone in the tower since it took so long to get someone else to take over.

Stinger

Pilot comment on frequency:
"Is there someone there that knows what they're doing?"
Zing!
I know nothing about it, but I'm sure I'll hear all about it tomorrow.

mooneyguy

been around forever
Yeah. There were a few comments made. It seemed though that this person was having some sort of medical issue. It was just so crazy that apparently no one was immediately available to take over or provide her assistance

DE727UPS

Back in the 80's there would be two guys on duty on the mid at TA TRACON. The arraignment (never use the word "deal") was that one would work 4 while the other one slept in the break room and then they would swap. Something happened once that put an end to that quite a while ago. Anyhow, it's surprising that only one controller would be on duty on local at a place like LAS. You'd think the guy working arrivals/departures would notice a lack of coordination and an abnormal "flow" in communications from his cohort. Anyhow, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Is L30 located in or at the base of the tower at LAS? Or is in a separate place? As in could those radar people have been informed and sent someone to the tower cab to quickly check?

Champcar

Sounds like this controller was having a medical situation and did her best. LiveATC Archive Link

Of course, there was one UAL pilot who had to make a smart ass remark. It's an interesting but long listen. A good human factors talking point. The entire system just assumes everything will proceed safely and goes about their routine, even though there is clearly something amiss. A big case of groupthink, one just follows the other. Amazing.

Last edited:

thevideographer

Heard the whole thing earlier. Yeah I cringed at the dumb remarks. Why do that? I guarantee that the other pilot on that plane probably cringed too. I would have just set the brake and waited for someone else to come on. You can tell by her voice right away something isn't right.

azmedic

That makes sense, ill remove my speculation.
No worries. I wouldn’t expect people to be able to differentiate to be truthful. Both can present very similarly. I’m sure @MikeD has seen this before. I’ve seen people with blood sugars reading “low” on the glucometer acting pretty coherent but just slurring their words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thevideographer

No worries. I wouldn’t expect people to be able to differentiate to be truthful. Both can present very similarly. I’m sure @MikeD has seen this before. I’ve seen people with blood sugars reading “low” on the glucometer acting pretty coherent but just slurring their words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah certain other internet forums are certain it was a stroke right now just based on audio of someone having trouble talking. It's like one person suggested it and now everyone just takes it as a fact. We'll probably never know, and I hope we don't, because it's obviously her personal business.

bike21

If any of you ever find yourself in a similar situation, please, please, PLEASE, go over to approach control immediately and advise them of the situation.
Yeah having listened to it I was wondering if anyone had done that. I've coordinated one way or the other over the years during comm issues and it's one of the first things I think of. I was surprised birds were still inbound once everyone seemed to be aware of the issue. Hope she is doing well.