• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Laps around the US ( $35-55 / hour time building )

Black Sheep

I've had a few questions from people lately so figured I would also post the answers here.
  • The useful load of the plane is 525.99 pounds so big guys usually are not a problem at all. The cabin is wider than a C172 so its roomy inside width wise and I've had a 6'4 buddy fly in it with no problems on long trips.
  • No need to worry about housing or any airport fees, if weather delays us or we are in the middle of a trip and can't sleep at the airport then I'll cover the hotel since I would need one for myself regardless. My daily budget for food while traveling is $5-19 a day.
  • The plane is IFR.

FlyingGuy

I've had a few questions from people lately so figured I would also post the answers here.
  • The useful load of the plane is 525.99 pounds so big guys usually are not a problem at all. The cabin is wider than a C172 so its roomy inside width wise and I've had a 6'4 buddy fly in it with no problems on long trips.
  • No need to worry about housing or any airport fees, if weather delays us or we are in the middle of a trip and can't sleep at the airport then I'll cover the hotel since I would need one for myself regardless. My daily budget for food while traveling is $5-19 a day.
  • The plane is IFR.
Hey, are you still looking for a time build partner?
I have about 209 hour total time, with Commercial Multi-engine Cert and Instrument rated. Looking to build some serious time.

Midway

Hello Black Sheep, I am interested to build my flight time. Please contact at dsupilot2000@ yahoo.com. I am currently in Philly area. Thanks!

Black Sheep

I sent you two guys messages.

I am still time building, been getting in solid 10 hour days.

I'll be updating the thread with new pictures shortly, just been busy flying

Vadim

if you end up in the rochester, ny area.. let me know ahead of time, i wouldnt mind taking friday, saturday, and sunday off work, we can fly as many hours as we can in these 3 days.. 6am to 12am with breaks, xcountry planning, i need hoodtime too.. ppl with 207tt sel, almost ready for instrument checkride.

Black Sheep

Love the photos, and sounds like a great adventure!

But how the hell can you eat for $5-$19 a day???
Hahah thanks man, appreciate it.

$2 McDonald's pancakes
$1.50 two pb&j's
$1.50 hoagie sandwich
Add some gold fish or whatever to snack on, not so bad.

I've got a few regular airports that I go to where the fuel is more expensive but they have all you can eat sausages, Mac n cheese, brisket, lemonade, tacos, etc. I don't mind paying a higher price for fuel if all that's included.

Or get a fast food meal and add $10 to the total. If you're budget conscious it's doable. All depends how bad you want to fly and pursue your goals.

Or you can eat out and get three big meals at $10 each and spend $30 a day.

Bottom line: flying long cross countries doesn't have to be expensive.

Black Sheep

if you end up in the rochester, ny area.. let me know ahead of time, i wouldnt mind taking friday, saturday, and sunday off work, we can fly as many hours as we can in these 3 days.. 6am to 12am with breaks, xcountry planning, i need hoodtime too.. ppl with 207tt sel, almost ready for instrument checkride.
I sent you a message.

Hahah thanks man, appreciate it.

$2 McDonald's pancakes
$1.50 two pb&j's
$1.50 hoagie sandwich
Add some gold fish or whatever to snack on, not so bad.

I've got a few regular airports that I go to where the fuel is more expensive but they have all you can eat sausages, Mac n cheese, brisket, lemonade, tacos, etc. I don't mind paying a higher price for fuel if all that's included.

Or get a fast food meal and add $10 to the total. If you're budget conscious it's doable. All depends how bad you want to fly and pursue your goals.

Or you can eat out and get three big meals at $10 each and spend $30 a day.

Bottom line: flying long cross countries doesn't have to be expensive.
Holy crap, if that's all i ate I'd pass out!

Black Sheep

Been busy, another transcontinental trip and flying a new plane now. Same time building in it.

Beechcraft
  • Fixed prop and fixed gear
  • 799 pound Useful load
  • Very spacious cabin, I'm 6'3 185lb and have flown with a 275lb co pilot and we weren't touching at all
  • Aerobatic
  • IFR
  • Fresh annual and low hours on engine
  • Just flew coast to coast 130kts at 9,500ft

Climbing out from LA

Phoenix

I was at 10,000ft taking this

Aircraft boneyard in Tuscon

Last edited:

Black Sheep

Took a vacation trip up to Alaska and drove the Dalton highway during a blizzard, awesome experience! No plane up there this time, maybe this summer. One of the few states that I have not flown in yet and would like to change that.

Not the best photo but kicking off the new year with some good hours. Should have better pics by the end of the week or so.

Black Sheep

You're a brave man. I've ridden the Dalton in the summer, and it's no joke.
Thanks man! I definitely want to do some Alaska riding or flying in the summer. Had an awesome time up there and especially on the Dalton. Incoming blizzard, almost running out of gas, 60mph winds in the circle, bumping into local trappers all made the experience that much better.