Kinda windy in Panama City...

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
The storm would have to last for 40 days to do that to satisfaction.

Same with La Vila though that place can F’ing stay gone. Not that I’m ever allowed back there anyway....

Anybody know how AJ’s faired in Destin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh I hated La Vela. But I did enjoy Spinnakers. It’s probably mostly driftwood now but I hope they come back .

Lawman

Ugh I hated La Vela. But I did enjoy Spinnakers. It’s probably mostly driftwood now but I hope they come back .
Last time I was at La Vila somebody nearly “fell” off the 3rd floor balcony. In fairness I forgot exactly which floor we were on at the time.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
I landed a hateful 99 in a tropical storm in PNS, once upon a time. Then I got to sit there watching the DHL van move not an inch from cover. They had the right idea. Oh, you wanna be mr. hero pilot guy? Awesome, but we get paid by the hour and we gotz food in the van. See you after our nap, if you haven’t blown away.
I was in the -145 across the way.

Lawman

@NovemberEcho

I’d say you inadvertently made the best decision of your life in regards to real-estate investment...

Holy hell.

Talking to a friend though apparently Destin and Elgin came through this all remarkably well.

Lawman

milleR

On the plus side, this could mean Rough Rider is about to get the band back together. "Yeah, we fixed it up good, now hurry up and get these fourteen truck transmissions in the back and get em to YIP yesterday!"
I know the guy that runs that operation for the AF, in fact I bought my plane from him. I don’t think he’s gonna be stoked, but I’m also guessing the insurance money will get 3 of the dozen or more other birds he’s got stashed in various hangars around AIK in service pretty quick.

Lawman

They...left them there?
Don’t have a choice in some cases.

We’ve got 3-4 aircraft torn apart on the hanger floor for standard maintenance at any point in time that if you said “move that now” would mean tossing parts and chunks in the back of a Uhaul faster than you could make airworthy.

Having seen a couple Hurrevac’s if it can fly, we will make the damn thing fly.... but something is going to get left behind because airplanes vs lives, we go with lives.

A Life Aloft

I am guessing that the planes left behind were in for maintenance/repairs/could not fly for whatever reasons. That's a real shame. I think that Tyndall is the only base that trains Raptor pilots. I keep reading that the base is not even "livable" at the moment. To rebuild the base.....how does that work? I assume that outside contractors are brought in as well as equipment and airmen from other bases and some temporary or prefab housing and other operational needs are erected?

Lawman

I am guessing that the planes left behind were in for maintenance/repairs/could not fly for whatever reasons. That's a real shame. I think that Tyndall is the only base that trains Raptor pilots. I keep reading that the base is not even "livable" at the moment. To rebuild the base.....how does that work? I assume that outside contractors are brought in as well as equipment and airmen from other bases?
Homestead is about the only real example of having to do this in the modern era. Basically the 3 squadrons that left.... set up shop at other bases for the immediate long term. Kinda like being deployed so you get set up, you start building the comforts after but long term you’re waiting for direction.

Homestead coincided with closing down a lot of bases though so we rebuilt about 1/3 of it and even that is a generous description. Might be years before Tyndall becomes Tyndall again, or we might find the motivation to move what was there elsewhere and cut our losses turning it into something else. Only time will tell on that one.