Kinda windy in Panama City...

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
When I first moved to FL in 2004, I stayed for those as well. Being a Colorado guy, I thought it was pretty interesting to witness such crazy weather events. But the cleanup and no power for weeks on end really sucked. Even if you’re in a bullet proof place, it really sucks.
Exactly. The aftermath is the worst part. No power, running on generators, monster mosquitos and boil water notices... After evacuating for the last couple of storms, it would be really hard to stay now. Even with impact windows and a generator.

Last edited:
Especially since they didn’t evacuate despite multiple warnings :-/
They weren’t in an evacuation zone. Michael was forecast to make landfall as a cat 2 or possibly a 3, and by the time it started to blow up, it was far too late to evacuate.

Evacuating a diversified area of 500,000 mostly lower to middle-class people with no real arterial traffic flow is already extremely difficult; most of the people in evacuation zones went to shelters, but the storm was drastically stronger than anticipated, especially inland. (Wind damage is like drag in that it’s a logarithmic scale.)

It’s easy to fling “they should have evacuated,” “they shouldn’t have built there,” etc... but ignorant.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Evac from PC is very difficult. The closest interstate highway is 60 miles north. The only roads out are at most 2 lanes each way and most are just 1 lane each way. And even at that there’s only really 2 or 3 roads out that go north rather than east/west.

Lawman

Tyndall/Mexico Beach were ground zero. Mexico Beach (town just east of PAM) doesn’t exist anymore. The pics my friends are sending me shows the whole damn area leveled.
Man that sucks. Mexico beach was my secret hideaway that nobody else seemed to know about. I was looking forward to taking TDYs with a camper trailer and being able to drive down their on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Man that sucks. Mexico beach was my secret hideaway that nobody else seemed to know about. I was looking forward to taking TDYs with a camper trailer and being able to drive down their on weekends.

I came really close to buying a little bungalow that opened right on to the beach there, but it’s just too far away from everything. That drive through the base on 98 is the longest 20 minutes evvvveeeerrrrr

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Especially since they didn’t evacuate despite multiple warnings :-/
There’s really only US98 and I-10 in the pan handle. About the same as trying to evacuate Long Island or Cape Cod. As of Sunday it was forecasted to be a category 1 at landfall.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

jynxyjoe

The Kickin' Chicken!

The freaking toucan is almost certainly gone.

Lawman

The freaking toucan is almost certainly gone.
If they start a kickstarter somebody better post the link.

Same with the Gold Nugget.... though lord knows my friends and I have donated enough to them already... 1 dollar at a time.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
If they start a kickstarter somebody better post the link.

Same with the Gold Nugget.... though lord knows my friends and I have donated enough to them already... 1 dollar at a time.

Toucans will be back is my guess. As for the Nugget, even this didn’t make that place clean.

Lawman

Toucans will be back is my guess. As for the Nugget, even this didn’t make that place clean.
The storm would have to last for 40 days to do that to satisfaction.

Same with La Vila though that place can F’ing stay gone. Not that I’m ever allowed back there anyway....

Anybody know how AJ’s faired in Destin?