keystone color vision test

FOXES

This is a bit off topic. I just went for an eye exam before my physical..the eye doctor is also a pilot.

He said to NOT READ ANYTHING before the exam..to let the eyes rest and you will test better.

Of course this has nothing to do with color, but will help on the acuity.:D.

srleslie

Now I'm really concerned. I also was bringing to my AME a letter from my PCP, adressing my history of Tourettes and ADD I had in my childhood that no longer adversly affect me. I haven't been on medication for it or had to a see a neurologist in over 10 years. But when I went there today, the AME said he was afraid that the letter stating as such wouldn't be enough. He said that the FAA usually makes someone with ADD undergo numerous psychoneurological tests that can cost 2,000 to 3,000 dollars. What do you think doc? I'm so ready to get this stuff taken care of. This feels like another set back.

My Flight Surgeon

Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner
I think they will issue the medical. You just need to submit the application with the letter and see what they do. Don't spend the $$ until they tell you they want the evaluation. I will be surprised if they want one since it has been so long.

Cross your fingers.

srleslie

I think they will issue the medical. You just need to submit the application with the letter and see what they do. Don't spend the $$ until they tell you they want the evaluation. I will be surprised if they want one since it has been so long.

Cross your fingers.
Crossing mine too. This doc also told me he will pass anyone for the color part of the test that can demonstrate to him they can tell basic colors by takign them outside and askign them waht color is this car or that car. He said he does that because a good friend of his had a distinguished military career and later a commercial aviation career and was completely color blind, but faked his way through the whole thing. Crazy huh? Some doc.

srleslie

Cross your fingers.
Sent you a PM regarding this.

FlightSurgeon

It is my understanding that the pathway of obtaining a new Letter of Evidence (LOE) by sending a letter to the Regional Flight Surgeon is no longer open to airmen. You can however obtain an LOE by taking an Operational Color Vision Test (OCVT) and Medical Flight Test (MFT), administered by the FSDO. This LOE does not expire. Also, if you have an LOE issued 2008 or before they are grandfathered and do not expire. If you wish to take an approved alternative test rather than the AME administered color test you can take the alternative test and take a letter or an 8500-7 to your AME in lieu of color vision testing. Unfortunately this must be done each medical.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

Last edited:

faaalltheway

If you wish to take an approved alternative test rather than the AME administered color test you can take the alternative test and take a letter or an 8500-7 to your AME in lieu of color vision testing. Unfortunately this must be done each medical.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

1. I have mild CVD and pass one of the alternative tests. Unfortunately, it seems there is no easy way to search for where the one I pass is available by state/city.
Although I travel to NY now and then, my previous AME is based in Florida so that would be a bit of a stretch.

2. I now live in Europe and here, FAA approved AMEs normally use ishihara. Would an AME be allowed to perform an alternative test if I show up with the device itself, you know? Ultimately I'd need to check with FAA but want to get more details if possible before I approach them.

3. Given I never failed an alternative test, I wasn't classified as CVD. Would that be the case if I now show up with a letter or 8500-7?

Many thanks

www.cvdpilots.com

FlightSurgeon

1. I have mild CVD and pass one of the alternative tests. Unfortunately, it seems there is no easy way to search for where the one I pass is available by state/city.
Although I travel to NY now and then, my previous AME is based in Florida so that would be a bit of a stretch.
Which alternative test did you pass?

2. I now live in Europe and here, FAA approved AMEs normally use ishihara. Would an AME be allowed to perform an alternative test if I show up with the device itself, you know? Ultimately I'd need to check with FAA but want to get more details if possible before I approach them.
Good question. I would talk to a few AMEs and see if any are willing. The FAA does periodically review the testing materials used at each AME office; that being said if it is an approved test you may find a cooperative AME.

Given I never failed an alternative test, I wasn't classified as CVD. Would that be the case if I now show up with a letter or 8500-7?
If you show up in an AME's office and fail their color test they will classify you as color deficient. If you show up with a letter or 8500-7 saying you passed an alternative test they should accept that in lieu of their color vision testing. Again an advance phone call to the AME you plan to use should smooth out expectations.

Let me know how this works out for you going forward or if I can be of help.

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com

faaalltheway

Which alternative test did you pass?
Keystone

Good question. I would talk to a few AMEs and see if any are willing. The FAA does periodically review the testing materials used at each AME office; that being said if it is an approved test you may find a cooperative AME.
Appreciated. I might ring a few also in NY, aiming to go there in July.
I understand that any optician (non AME) may write such a letter, providing they have the alternate exam available, which may then be accepted by the AME at the time of the examination, correct?

If you show up in an AME's office and fail their color test they will classify you as color deficient. If you show up with a letter or 8500-7 saying you passed an alternative test they should accept that in lieu of their color vision testing. Again an advance phone call to the AME you plan to use should smooth out expectations.
Thank you, will give that a go.

Let me know how this works out for you going forward or if I can be of help.
Thanks for all the info so far. Quick one on med express, I have applied for a renewal but it expires in June. Do I need to contact the FAA if I want to get that extended or could I just reapply once that expires? Trying to align the re-examination with my trip to NY in July.
Before you think I'm lazy, I tried calling them a few times but the call hangs up due to high volume of simultaneous calls, in the past few days..

FlightSurgeon

Appreciated. I might ring a few also in NY, aiming to go there in July.
I understand that any optician (non AME) may write such a letter, providing they have the alternate exam available, which may then be accepted by the AME at the time of the examination, correct?
Correct. Any optometrist or ophthalmologist can write the letter or fill out the 8500-7.
Thanks for all the info so far. Quick one on med express, I have applied for a renewal but it expires in June. Do I need to contact the FAA if I want to get that extended or could I just reapply once that expires? Trying to align the re-examination with my trip to NY in July.
Before you think I'm lazy, I tried calling them a few times but the call hangs up due to high volume of simultaneous calls, in the past few days..
Just let it expire and fill out another MedXPress. Good luck!

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
www.kansascityame.com