keystone color vision test

srleslie

I'm going in to take the Keystone color vision test Monday. I passed such a test many years ago by an AME. After I moved away from Mississippi and went to another AME for another physical, I failed, cus they tested me with the regular plates. I finally tracked down what test it was I originally passed, the Keystone. Much to my surprise it was an FAA approved alternate test. I found one at the college of optometry in Memphis and I'm going in Monday to take it. I passed it before, but I'm soooooooo nervous about not passing it again. Can you guys assure me that a Keystone is a Keystone? That they are both the same? I so need to pass this test Monday. I'm a nervous wreck. I just need that letter of evidence so I can put this issue behind me.

On a side note, could I go back to the AME that originally did the test and get him to send something to the FAA so I could get the letter of evidence?

srleslie

What is the 8500-7? The FAA in Oklahoma City told me to send it in with the rest of the paperwork when I see the AME to get a flight medical (mine is expired). Also, I live in Arkansas so I have a different Regional Flight Surgeon. Thanks,

Ryan

Keystones are Keystones.

You will need the college of optometry to write a letter for you with a comment stating you passed thh Keystone color vision test with ZERO mistakes. Then send the 8500-7 to the Regional Flight Surgeon http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/rfs/aso/index.cfm with a letter requesting a Letter of Evidence for color vision.

srleslie

Oh I see now, the 8500-7 is the eye evaluation form. The FAA in OKC told me I didn't need this, just something showing that the physician had interpreted the results for the test. Is that correct?

srleslie

I passed the test with flying colors:D I have the letter to send to the FAA from the eye doctor. My dream is finally reality. So begins the adventure of flying! I just can't believe it, after all these years, being told I can't fly because I'm color deficient. I wish I had known about this test earlier. To everyone who hits a brick wall in your pursuit of flight, let this serve to you to NEVER give up. I look forward to my new life...

srleslie

My Flight Surgeon, I sent you a PM and I guess you didn't get it. I am going in Friday to get my FAA 1st Class medical. I'm going to have the doctor send in my results for the Keystone test and my request for the letter of evidence with the 1st class medical paperwork. My question is: Does the FAA want the original copy of the letter saying I passed the keystone on original letterhead, or will a copy of the original be fine? I'd like to keep the original if possible. Thanks.

My Flight Surgeon

Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner
Sorry I didn't answer - probably the Christmas season got to me.

Copies work just fine, no need to send the original.

Have him send the request for Letter of Evidence to the Regional Flight Surgeon's office, it will come back faster. It has been taking us 8 weeks to get letters back from OKC.

srleslie

Sorry I didn't answer - probably the Christmas season got to me.

Copies work just fine, no need to send the original.

Have him send the request for Letter of Evidence to the Regional Flight Surgeon's office, it will come back faster. It has been taking us 8 weeks to get letters back from OKC.
The doctor's office just called and said their vision machine is down and that they won't have one for several weeks. All I really need is a 3rd class right now so I'm thinking about going to another doctor. This letter of evidence for the Keystone test: is it good for all classes of the FAA medical? In other words, when I upgrade to a 1st class, will I have to do the letter of evidence thing over again? Thanks,

Ryan

My Flight Surgeon

Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner
The Letter of Evidence (from the FAA, not they eye doctor) is godd for ALL Classes of medical certificate.

I own 2 Keystone machines. The only way it can be "down" is to have the bulb burned out. Offer to buy one. It is a 40 watt T6 bulb. You can substitute the 60 watt T10. You can buy these at any Lowe's or Home Depot.

Pietrantonio

Congrats!!! I know exactly how you feel. The only difference, I took the Farnsworth, but our stories are exact. I drove 4 hours to take the test, and passed. Again, congrats, and I hope all your dreams come true!