1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping it to a page

Discussion in 'Resume Assistance' started by Flyinthrew, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Flyinthrew

Flyinthrew Well-Known Member

I am currently working on my first resume. Yes, I am 34 and yes I have been in the workforce for 16 years. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) a resume as the civilian sector understands it is not a document that the military generally cares about. I can't keep this thing to less than a page as is recommended here. Granted, this resume is a bit of a formality as I'm just presenting it to the owner of a flight school that has already offered me employment as a CFI, but I want this to be the one I can craft subsequent ones from. Does the Experience section need have ALL of my job experience or just my aviation experience? Should it go all the way back to when I worked in aviation command and control back in 2001-2004? I'm just looking for the rules of thumb on these things. I feel like I've scrubbed the threads in the subforum pretty well.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

Take out some of the identifiable information and post so we can have a peek.

3. typhoonpilot

typhoonpilot Well-Known Member

I've used the same one page resume format for close to 30 years now.

I just collected some resumes from colleagues to crew a BBJ. One of my colleagues sent me a 6 page resume that was 16.6MB!!! :ooh:, Needless to say I could not send that on so asked him to reduce it in length and file size. I think we're down to two pages and under 1 MB now :(.

TP

Stone Cold, azmedic and Derg like this.
  4. Jordan93

Jordan93 Well-Known Member

I'm more than 10 years younger than you with a whole lot less experience probably but I kept my resume to one page and aviation experience only. I don't think my employer cares if I worked at a Dunkin' Donuts when I was 16. That's what AirlineApps is for!

5. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Well-Known Member

Resumes do not have to be CVs.

Relevant experience with no gaps in timeline is best. If it's more than a page, you're usually a high level exec., have a niche market where it's accepted, or have to organize the information better.

6. Flyinthrew

Flyinthrew Well-Known Member

16MB!? Did it have embedded videos and charts and graphs?

azmedic likes this.
  7. Derg

You can actually save a crap-ton of space by leaving out the long-winded multi bullet-point descriptions of what a pilot does. 99% of the people that include descriptions of what they do as FO or Captain leave out: Flying the airplane.

Then, even with the long-winded description of what a flying job is, the author tends to reduce font size to get it on one page and it ends up being an unreadable word jumble and you can read nothing except "Helps, assists the captain operate aircraft in all sorts of important sounding airspace for a multi-billion dollar company in challenging airzzz… ZZZZZZZZZZ….ZZZZZZZZZZ…..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ…"

For goodness sake, assume they know what a captain or first officer does.

gotWXdagain, azmedic and typhoonpilot like this.
  8. typhoonpilot

typhoonpilot Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what made the file size so big. I would not have thought it either given the content.

Mine is 32KB by contrast :).

TP

9. Dphoenix

Dphoenix Love lasagna, hate mondays

First Officer: June 14-Present: Verified that right side was clear of all traffic or hazards. Assisted captain in affirmation of his/her decision making. Proactively took the fat one in service to the captain.

Adler, Cessnaflyer, Jordan93 and 4 others like this.
  10. Derg

OMG! And an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone license, and ACTUAL! When can you start, son? :)

azmedic likes this.
  11. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

Holy! That's why I would make a terrible regional FO.

Derg likes this.
  12. Derg

Just say "10/1/14 - Present WhoeveritisAirways, CRJ-200, First Officer"

that's all it takes.

No variants, no "CRJ-200-2BJ/-900-3XC" no one who is looking at your resume gives a poo.

They KNOW what a co-pilot does. And chances are, you're going to leave out "I fly airplanes, weeee!" :)

Cessnaflyer and azmedic like this.
  13. Dphoenix

My favorite is "Oh, your actual should be about 10% of your total."
    Me: "Okay, but it's not."
    "Right, but that's what they're looking to see."
    Me: "Okay, but that's not my actual time. I learned to fly in Phoenix, I flight instructed in phoenix, I worked a primarily VFR survey job (outside of relocating the airplanes) and now I fly a jet up and down the west coast and California is sunny and beautiful, and I get .1 on the ILS back into Seattle popping through a broken layer."
    "... so.. the actual should be about 10% of your total time..."
    Like talking to a broken record.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    azmedic likes this.
  14. gotWXdagain

gotWXdagain Highly Visible Member

Well Bob, Bob, it was nice talking with you both, but I'm going to leave now.

15. Derg

Good grief. Was that a recruiter or a consultant? I'm surprised a recruiter would even pay that much attention.

16. Jordan93

Jordan93 Well-Known Member

Will my app get scored faster if I proactively take the fat one for several years in service to the captain?

17. Dphoenix

"Consultant" is going to go in quotes here. Thank god DL is out there now with a facebook page actually dispelling this stuff.

Absolutely. Plus, it will allow you to fit your resume on one page, which means it's easier to put in frosting on a cake. (2 pages and the cake will be way too large and cost prohibitive.)
    Trust me, I'm an expert on these things.

On a serious note, I will say that the one page resume thing is frustrating if you're older as I want to talk about all my previous customer service experience before I got into aviation and there just isn't any room for it, even though I'd like to highlight it. But there's ample spots for me to go into detail on airlineapps fortunately, and the resume is just like the back cover of the book - the one with a brief plot summary and a few five star reviews. You can give em the full book report in person.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  18. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Hopefully some seriousness left to go around in here, and I didn't want to be "that guy" that starts a new thread. I'm struggling to keep mine to one page (and that's without listing a yet to be completed degree or volunteer work). I'd leave out all of my non aviation jobs...but the problem is that pretty much all of my jobs have been aviation related. My longest held job was ramper for a regional, so I'd kinda want to leave that on there, but I go back and forth on debating if it's super relevant because it's not a flying job, but it is part of the "big picture" of the airline world. Also not super sure how to condense my aerial survey jobs, since "Played lawnmower driver in the sky" doesn't necessarily do all the other parts of the job justice.

19. Stone Cold

Stone Cold Well-Known Member

The recruiters know, or at least I would hope they would, what aerial survey is. I think my aerial survey line is 1 line on my resume. Dates I did it, aerial survey pilot, C-172.

Granted, I don't think anybody is looking at that part of my resume anymore, but keep it simple. I spent 9 years in the Navy, and my resume has 3 lines on it. The dates, and a couple blurbs on my technical job.

Of course, I haven't been called for anything airline wise either, so who knows...

JordanD likes this.