1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just discovered

Discussion in 'Aircraft Ownership' started by Nark, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this was a sub forum.

Once I get a moment, I'll upload a spreadsheet I created (with some help) that shows a ballpark of ownership costs.

I'd say there are a few owner types out there. Cheap and smart.

With that said, I used to account for nearly every penny the first year I owned <---- my Stinson.
    I really had no reason to, as it wasn't a justification for ownership. But the formulas are there to see about affording any other types.

Cessnaflyer, touch-n-go and bucksmith like this.
  2. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Don't. Nobody's going to buy any airplanes then.
    Way I look at it (I didn't come up with that, read it somewhere) is the first hour of the year is the expensive one and the rest are just fuel and oil.

learhawkerbe400 likes this.
  3. z987k

z987k TeamANC

I used to keep meticulous details of money spent to. Then I stopped caring.

Nark and mrivc211 like this.
  4. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

It's a new one and it keeps throwing off my scroll timing to click the lav lol

jweldon and bucksmith like this.
  5. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

I second the "DON'T". No good will come of it. All it takes is the spouse to find out just how much the plane and boat actually cost. There's a reason it's called a $100 hamburger.

6. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Easy choice...

There are plenty of other sources to figure out cost of ownership.

Enjoy the freedom it brings. No one to complain to when the tanks aren't filled, or the seat belts aren't crossed :)

BigZ likes this.
  7. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

See my avatar?
    <----------

She's been trying to get me to sell it for a while now. No need to give her more ammo!

8. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Yeah they tend to do that

9. EIR

EIR Well-Known Member

I was the opposite of Nark. I didn't want to know how much my airplane cost me.

BigZ and killbilly like this.
  10. BrettInLJ

BrettInLJ Well-Known Member

It's about the fixed costs. Unless you are buying cash well under your financial means and have money to spare find a good partner or two! Once you bring the fixed costs down, the variable fuel and engine reserve is closer to renting and the benefits of it being your plane (even with another owner) tilt the balance.

The trick is getting the RIGHT partners that share your ownership philosophy and goals and are someone you are willing to go into business with. The decisions you make are like running a small business.

P28RZFT and Nark like this.
  11. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Owning is everything to do with freedom of scheduling, and little to do with cost.

It's actually cost prohibitive really, if you fly less than 100 ish hours a year.

Like I said, I love getting a wild hair, driving to the airport, flying a few airports over and buying cheaper gas (more about flying than saving 5¢ a gallon.)

Anybody looking for a gently used S108? I'm 'upgrading' to a 180 in the new year.

EIR and milleR like this.
  12. Dan208B

Dan208B Well-Known Member

I've owned multiple airplanes. Started with a Pacer, then a C182, then a Nanchang (still have that and trying to sell) and currently rebuilding a beaver. Without hesitation you cannot make a financial case for it in any way unless you just simply want to own an airplane. I do. I like knowing who flies it, how it's flown and maintained, and having no access restrictions. That's a choice, for many people a club or renting would be better. If you want to own an airplane, make it happen.

alaskadrifter likes this.
  13. bucksmith

bucksmith Did you lock the doors?

If I was going to buy an airplane to do it all (all that I want), Stinson 108 might be the ticket. Does it have the Franklin in it? If so, could you advise a middle class fella like me if I'm crazy for thinking about it?
    Don't get too excited here, I'm just dreaming. But I'd love an airplane I could occasionally commute to work, teach the kids how to fly and do some tail wheel endorsements to offset some cost. (And id like it to be neat!)
    Got a link to an ad? Which model is it?

14. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

Ha! Im overseas at the moment...

When I get back early next year I'll annual it, and make a few ads.
    Right now it's pickled in the hangar. She could use some love.

15. BigZ

BigZ Well-Known Member

Recently helped a friend sell this
    (Spoiler - Stinson pr0n)
    IMG-20170620-WA0000.jpg

16. P28RZFT

P28RZFT New Member

The right partners...agreed! It's like a marriage, only different :) Seriously though, I think it's worth spending as much time finding like-minded partner(s) as it is to find the right aircraft. I've been fortunate over the last ~10 years or so with my partners. I've also heard from friends how their aircraft partners are difficult to work with and they're essentially stuck in a bad partnership.
    The right partners...agreed! It's like a marriage, only different :) Seriously though, I think it's worth spending as much time finding like-minded partner(s) as it is to find the right aircraft. I've been fortunate over the last ~10 years or so with my partners. I've also heard from friends how their aircraft partners are difficult to work with and they're essentially stuck in a bad partnership.

17. EIR

EIR Well-Known Member

@Dan208B, how about some pictures of the Beaver build?

18. Dan208B

Dan208B Well-Known Member

Sure! At work I'll snap some when I get home.

19. alaskadrifter

alaskadrifter Noob

No way I could do this with a rental.
    IMG_4094.JPG