Jobs from home?

JDean3204

Well-Known Member
Since our kid was born I have been the sole supporter of our household. On regional FO pay its near impossible and even after upgrade it won’t be all that comfortable. My wife did have a good job before, but the hours were long, mixed with my road schedule we weren’t able to find childcare that would have been affordable. We would have lost 60% of her pay to childcare and after 10 hour days when I’m gone, I’m sure the remaining 40% takehome wouldn’t have been worth it. Plus, she does enjoy all the time she is spending with our son.

Is there any jobs that one can do at home that will help supplement some income? I mean even a min wage will help out tremendously. She has been looking, but most jobs seem fishy. A lot of sales jobs that sound like Ponzi schemes. Do your spouses have jobs at home that allow them to be stay at home parents as well??
 

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Since our kid was born I have been the sole supporter of our household. On regional FO pay its near impossible and even after upgrade it won’t be all that comfortable. My wife did have a good job before, but the hours were long, mixed with my road schedule we weren’t able to find childcare that would have been affordable. We would have lost 60% of her pay to childcare and after 10 hour days when I’m gone, I’m sure the remaining 40% takehome wouldn’t have been worth it. Plus, she does enjoy all the time she is spending with our son.

Is there any jobs that one can do at home that will help supplement some income? I mean even a min wage will help out tremendously. She has been looking, but most jobs seem fishy. A lot of sales jobs that sound like Ponzi schemes. Do your spouses have jobs at home that allow them to be stay at home parents as well??
Is medical billing still a thing?
 

JDean3204

Well-Known Member
Is medical billing still a thing?
It may be, but I think you need to have “certifications” for that. I’ve looked online a few times myself and didn’t see too many jobs in the medical field my wife would qualify for that work from home. She is a certified dental assistant and is bilingual but just can’t seem to find much, maybe we just need to look harder :)
 

IslandFlyer

Well-Known Member
Since she has experience in the dental field - dental hygienist is a good paying job with flexible hours.

It does require some prereqs, and is not an overnight program but a good field for pay and family life. Most hygienists typically work 3 or 4 days a week and make about $40/hour.

Many just “contract” (using pilot terms) and just fill in various locations when they want to allowing more flexibility in schedule.

I know it’s not a short term solution but in my opinion, a good route for the long term pilot life.
 

citrus

Sound of the suburbs
@JDean3204 - where are you located and what are her qualifications, not looking for anything specific but just get a general idea. I work in the healthcare space and QoL is pretty good compared to other industries, especially for those with kids. I'm not aware of any positions where she can work from home full time (although I've known of a few that can) but most companies are pretty flexible when it comes to work arrangements these days.

With jobs, it's all about location so it helps to be around bigger cities fortunately/unfortunately.
 

Shamrocked

New Member
I’d imagine considering childcare is so expensive, maybe just homecare your own kid (that saves you a ton right there) and then consider taking care of 2 other kids. Daycare is so hard to find.
 

Beaker

Well-Known Member
Working from home is a real thing these days. Multiple people I know, including me, more or less work full time from home, only venturing into the office when absolutely necessary. This is in the fields of engineering, finance, and software. The part I am struggling with is the idea of working from home AND providing childcare to a baby / toddler. If my son can’t go to daycare, I have to take time off to watch him as it’s its own full time job outside of nap time. You need something that you can pick up for an hour at a time here and there while still paying something meaningful. I’m not sure that’s out there. The other part time work ideas mentioned above sound more promising.
 

Lawman

Well-Known Member
My mother ran certified in home daycare. She was a Nurse and it was obviously less of an ordeal to obtain that kind of certification being the 80s, but it payed well at the time. Given the difficulty today in maintaining the kinds of requirements now mandated that would only drive prices to a higher premium.
 

Flyinthrew

Well-Known Member
There are a lot of platforms (VIPKID is one I know) where you teach english to kids in other countries. I don't know the ins and outs, but I've heard it can be good money, and you exclusively do it from home. I have a friend who works at SJI and his wife teaches Chinese children while at home with their child.
 

Nihon_Ni

Well-Known Member
Maybe you could partner with another mom (or two) and each watch the other's kids while they both work a few half/full days a week? That would eliminate the childcare cost and be a win-win for both families.
 

ClearedForOption

French Computer Programmer and Systems Monitor
Since our kid was born I have been the sole supporter of our household. On regional FO pay its near impossible and even after upgrade it won’t be all that comfortable. My wife did have a good job before, but the hours were long, mixed with my road schedule we weren’t able to find childcare that would have been affordable. We would have lost 60% of her pay to childcare and after 10 hour days when I’m gone, I’m sure the remaining 40% takehome wouldn’t have been worth it. Plus, she does enjoy all the time she is spending with our son.

Is there any jobs that one can do at home that will help supplement some income? I mean even a min wage will help out tremendously. She has been looking, but most jobs seem fishy. A lot of sales jobs that sound like Ponzi schemes. Do your spouses have jobs at home that allow them to be stay at home parents as well??
My spouse got sucked into a couple of MLM/Ponzi things in the past and I would caution that you should do your research before any 'great sales opportunities' present themselves. That being said... we did have some success with her doing child care through some of the online match people up type sites. The only caution with that was neglecting your own kid (or letting them learn bad behavior) because of watching someone else's child.
 

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
My spouse got sucked into a couple of MLM/Ponzi things in the past and I would caution that you should do your research before any 'great sales opportunities' present themselves. That being said... we did have some success with her doing child care through some of the online match people up type sites. The only caution with that was neglecting your own kid (or letting them learn bad behavior) because of watching someone else's child.
MLM’s run absolutely RAMPANT in the airline spouse circles.

”Psuedoscience, now, with the power of GOOGLE!” :)
 
Top