Jobs during F-word

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
I thought about making the jump about 18 months ago, but just decided it wasn't the way to go after talking to some railroad guys. They're not like the airlines, they'll furlough the day they're overstaffed. Basically the general feeling I got was, until your 10 years + years in, you're likely to get furloughed now and then.
Wait, I thought you said it wasn’t like the airlines?

Rosario Dawson is my jam.

MarkE

Murrrrrph!
Perhaps I should dust off my CCNA from almost 20 years ago. Is that even worth anything anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't think it would be a BAD thing. You'd have to re-certify but it wouldn't be difficult for you as I'm sure routing and switching concepts haven't changed much in the last 20 years. Maybe different CLI commands for a newer IOS. There's some jobs available but again, lot of people furloughed or laid off so a lot of competition. Or, since you have to re-certify anyway, it might make more sense to just get your CCIE.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Purple pool is about empty, interviews in August.
Lower tier, same news. New seniority list came out at Omni yesterday, nine nuggets in the July class, rumor is they're looking for 40 total. Make of that what you will, but we do seem to be hiring. May the odds be ever in your favor, etc etc. FWIW, I love it here, can't really feature how anyone could dislike it unless they're passionately attached to operating aviation appliances often, which, well, *raspberry*.

ozone

My CFII, who is also a musician and an ATP, told me that he long ago looked up "best jobs to do from home" and got himself trained up as a CPA. He's basically recession-proof since both pilots and performers need a CPA; along with anyone else who needs to pay taxes.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Lower tier, same news. New seniority list came out at Omni yesterday, nine nuggets in the July class, rumor is they're looking for 40 total. Make of that what you will, but we do seem to be hiring. May the odds be ever in your favor, etc etc. FWIW, I love it here, can't really feature how anyone could dislike it unless they're passionately attached to operating aviation appliances often, which, well, *raspberry*.
Of course you love it, you never work.

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Of course you love it, you never work.
Funny because it's true. Or it was. They got me good, this time. I deployed my bid-fu and got a five day hitch starting today (including two override days) straight after GDOs, figuring there's just no way it would make sense to use me. Guess who gets to get up at ohmygod o'clock and go to Japan and Korea? 12 and 14 hour overnights, straight down the line. *Price is Right losing horn*
I bet they're yummy, especially when dipped in honey mustard. Not sure how they can fly airplanes with no arms tho...
You've never seen me fly, have you?

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Funny because it's true. Or it was. They got me good, this time. I deployed my bid-fu and got a five day hitch starting today (including two override days) straight after GDOs, figuring there's just no way it would make sense to use me. Guess who gets to get up at ohmygod o'clock and go to Japan and Korea? 12 and 14 hour overnights, straight down the line. *Price is Right losing horn*

You've never seen me fly, have you?
Ouch. Have fun!

I just commuted in to ORD so I could work a one leg, three day trip where we are heavy crewed on a leg where it isn’t even required

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
$50 an hour, home every night, benefits, no nights or weekends. Any regional FO that gets that gig might not go back.

although, I have friends that do hvac work, The no nights and weekends is not something they are familiar with. It’s not every night, but if a job runs long, or their is an emergency. Also, have one weekend a month, or every other weekend on call for emergencies. However, they make a ton of money on the weekend, as it’s all OT, with a $200 call out fee on top of it.
The problem with HVAC work is that you'll never work in an air conditioned space again. Either doing new construction installs or service work on failed/ inoperative units. There is always an exception to the rule, and in this case it is manufacturing. If you work in a factory, you might be in air conditioning.

milleR

Ads like these, starting to pop up on that other forum page. Instead of ATP and Other flight school ads.

View attachment 54631
The only people I know making $50/hour have at least 15 years of experience and a journeyman if not master license. If you're talking about residential work you're going to be spending a lot of time in attics, in the summer. It's good work and a good living, but you'll work for it.

HRDiva

I’ve got some Fortran IV (punch card) experience from the mid-to-late 70’s to fall back on.
The state unemployment departments had to lure people out of retirement to reprogram the systems to accommodate the Covid-19 reasons and independent contractors. A company in Florida did it all for most, of not all of the states.

PGT

The state unemployment departments had to lure people out of retirement to reprogram the systems to accommodate the Covid-19 reasons and independent contractors. A company in Florida did it all for most, of not all of the states.
COBOL developers will be in demand, nobody wants to do it and its easier to learn than others. I know plenty of non-tech people who jumped into it for y2k.

I wouldn’t recommend people jump into software. It’s difficult for self-learners and, at minimum, you’re 6mo away from any reasonable job if you’re brand new.