Jobs during F-word

amichael

I've wasted the past 3ish months on a paid staycation, but now that the F word is becoming more real, I feel like the staycation should soon come to an end. I don't foresee any flying jobs to be available (save maybe a couple for the most networked among us) so I am trying to brainstorm jobs that are better than collecting an unemployment check. I have a Master's degree but its in Aviation so that's not super helpful. I was thinking of getting my real estate license, but I know next to nothing about that. What do you guys think?

phill1174

I’m not facing the F word as of yet but I’ve thought about getting my CDL while on reserve to get a head start just in case. The first year may suck but after that if you can get local and be home every night it isn’t bad. It’s not pilot money but not terrible either. IT isn’t too shabby either according to my significant other. The key to progression there is getting all the certifications you can. Depending on where you are and your situation the state may pay for you to get some kind of trade with workforce funding. At least in Arizona they will.

Last edited:

DE727UPS

If one is good at home repair/handyman stuff and live in the right area you could make it a decent part time gig. My handyman moved into hosting Airbnb's for other people (property management) and does pretty well during the summer tourist season. He charges 15%, which is a great deal for the owners, and takes the full cleaning fee. He either cleans himself or subs it out, depending on how busy he is. In the winter he does condo remodels.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Keep tabs on airport jobs - even though our part of the industry is being hit too, there are opportunities out there. Entry level airport operations positions are typically most suited for those with flying experience.

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
I would caution anyone who thinks real estate might be an easy path. Yes, it’s very easy to get licensed. But the average agent makes about $15k. You have to bust your ass to make decent money. Be prepared to work hard for it.
In Florida it seemed like 60% of the population had a real estate license. Another 30% were financial planners.

Seems like friends of mine who've been most successful in real estate got into it via family.

AAPalmTree

There are aviation jobs out there and it isn’t too late. Corporate/91K is bouncing back pretty quick. There will be opportunities. Airlines will be hurting for a while. Hopefully no one has legacy-airline aspirations this side of the next decade.
10 years?

CaptainYoda

I’m not facing the F word as of yet but I’ve thought about getting my CDL while on reserve to get a head start just in case. The first year may suck but after that if you can get local and be home every night it isn’t bad. It’s not pilot money but not terrible either. IT isn’t too shabby either according to my significant other. The key to progression there is getting all the certifications you can. Depending on where you are and your situation the state may pay for you to get some kind of trade with workforce funding. At least in Arizona they will.
Hey Mav, you got the number of that truck driving school, "Truck Master"?
I think I'm gonna need that.

woodreau

I looked into the CDL, it’s the meme we all fall back on.
yes getting one is “easy”.

but now you have a CDL, every infraction you get anywhere in the US now goes on your national driving record. You’re not eligible for “warnings” just keep your speed down next time. You’re not eligible for deferred adjudication to make the speeding ticket ”go away by paying $75 for “driving” school anymore.

and now you’re subject to annual DOT medical testing for your driving privileges even if you don’t drive a tractor trailer and Go back to being an airline pilot and no longer work in the commercial Trucking industry.

at least thats what holding a CDL means in Texas.

so research the CDL option carefully For your state.

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I would caution anyone who thinks real estate might be an easy path. Yes, it’s very easy to get licensed. But the average agent makes about $15k. You have to bust your ass to make decent money. Be prepared to work hard for it.
it took my wife a year to sell her first house and only made $20k the second year. I don’t know how anyone does that for a living. Also, the general public is terrible and stupid.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I looked into the CDL, it’s the meme we all fall back on.
yes getting one is “easy”.

but now you have a CDL, every infraction you get anywhere in the US now goes on your national driving record. You’re not for eligible deferred adjudication to make the speeding ticket ”go away by paying $75 for “driving” school anymore.

and now you’re subject to annual DOT medical testing for your driving privileges even if you don’t drive a tractor trailer.

at least thats what holding. CDL means in Texas.

so research the CDL option carefully For your state.
also, if you’re a CDL holder, the DUI now starts at .04 whether you’re driving a truck or your normal car.

woodreau

im just one pilot, and the aviation industry is going to do just fine with or without me, just like life goes on.

but if I get furloughed, I’m probably not going to come back, I’m going to look into getting into something else.

ive been using these last three months, learning how to program and code, working with spreadsheets and data modeling and studying to become an actuary.

GypsyPilot

im just one pilot, and the aviation industry is going to do just fine with or without me, just like life goes on.

but if I get furloughed, I’m probably not going to come back, I’m going to look into getting into something else.

ive been using these last three months, learning how to program and code, working with spreadsheets and data modeling and studying to become an actuary.
If you get furloughed from a regional, that makes sense.

If you are getting furloughed from one of the legacies, it makes a lot less sense to say you'll never come back.

TWP

First, you should apply to every job near you that you think you could put up with while you’re still ahead of the game, that way if you find out it’s absolutely miserable you can quit and get something else before you’re actually laid off. If you’re gonna be broke you might as well work the most agreeable broke job you can find.

Then you can search for better employment while you at least have something under your belt already.