JetBlue to Start Service to London in 2021

Oxman

JetBlue to Start Service to London in 2021

It's official!

You'll soon be able to take a JetBlue (JBLU - Get Report) flight from New York or Boston to London.

Starting in 2021, the budget airline will begin its first ever service in the lucrative trans-Atlantic market, the company announced.

The move will mean the airline will now need to battle head-to-head with massive U.S. rivals such as American Airlines Group (AAL - Get Report) and equally formidable foreign carriers such as Air France-KLM (AFLYY and British Airways.

"London is the largest metro area JetBlue doesn't yet serve from both Boston and New York, and we could not be more thrilled to be changing that in the years ahead," said President Joanna Geraghty in a statement.

The service is expected to use single-aisle Airbus aircraft with a "reimagined" version of its Mint business class service which currently offers lie-flat seats and separate suites to customers in the U.S.

The company said it was still evaluating which airports in London it will serve. The large airports include Heathrow, Gatwick, and Stanstead.

The stock rallied 3.6% Wednesday following reports that JetBlue would begin flying to London. Despite that, shares are still down 12.5% over the last year through Wednesday.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
I’d pick up a couple 330-200’s.

That’s pretty fierce competition for that market and he’ll, people thumbed their noses at 767-300’s on that route.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
I’d pick up a couple 330-200’s and threaten bankrupting the airline if it doesn't go well.

That’s pretty fierce competition for that market and he’ll, people thumbed their noses at 767-300’s on that route.
FIFY. There's a reason pilots don't run airlines. We'd start and end every trip with a DH to and from DSM because we live there if we could, but it doesn't make financial sense.

nabbyfan

Wonder if they’ll do better than those A321 AA is trying to make work from LAX-Hawaii.

I had one guy get to FICKY, like 220 miles west of the airport, still climbing out of FL250. Had to shut him off at 260 for the crossing because he didn’t get above the guys in front of him that I had already terminated. Not a happy customer haha

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Wonder if they’ll do better than those A321 AA is trying to make work from LAX-Hawaii.

I had one guy get to FICKY, like 220 miles west of the airport, still climbing out of FL250. Had to shut him off at 260 for the crossing because he didn’t get above the guys in front of him that I had already terminated. Not a happy customer haha
CEO != NEO.

Even fully loaded in the middle of the summer I can get to the mid 30s well before the FIR boundary. The only time I even came close to having an issue was with backwards winds and 140 knots of tailwind going westbound while coasting out.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Shut your pie hole, solicitor! :)
You know, he's right.

I'm always amazed at how much more American's 321s weigh empty than ours. (I use 'em to commute. They're lovely rides, for the most part, but "flying time from Chicago to Los Angeles will be 4 hours and 31 minutes at 28,000'" is eyebrow raising [yes, I know there are other reasons].)

CEO != NEO.

Even fully loaded in the middle of the summer I can get to the mid 30s well before the FIR boundary. The only time I even came close to having an issue was with backwards winds and 140 knots of tailwind going westbound while coasting out.
Indeed...the difference in performance between the -320 classic and the -320Neo is really rather amazing as well. "Why yes, we can boom right on up to 380."

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Indeed...the difference in performance between the -320 classic and the -320Neo is really rather amazing as well. "Why yes, we can boom right on up to 380."
Sadly... the 321neo is still a pig when compared to the 320neo. A nice pig... one that some day will probably make very tasty bacon, but still a pig.

Last edited:

FlyingAccountant

They should just get a couple 330s and do it right.

That said, I’ve had a few flights on a 757 across the Atlantic that weren’t unpleasant, the 321 isn’t a bad ride.
They're going to have to if they want to do LHR. I can't imagine longhaul narrowbody economics make the cost of slots into LHR worth it. One pair of LHR slots = $75 million.

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

Just remember AAL is the same guys slowing to 180kts (secretly) 40 miles away from the airport. I wouldn’t expect their departure procedures to be any better

CRJDriver

They haven’t said which London airport they are targeting, but from the internal comms, it sounds like it could be more than one.

The A321LR is a low risk factor at this point instead of getting widebodies right now, if Europe doesn’t work out for some reason they can just redeploy the 321s on the domestic market.

PeanuckleCRJ

Poodle Wrangler
You know, he's right.

I'm always amazed at how much more American's 321s weigh empty than ours. (I use 'em to commute. They're lovely rides, for the most part, but "flying time from Chicago to Los Angeles will be 4 hours and 31 minutes at 28,000'" is eyebrow raising [yes, I know there are other reasons].)

Even our 321 CEOs are good up to FL340 right after a max weight takeoff... my best friend is at AA, and he said a number of guys there won't fly above 300 due to "cosmic radiation" or "screw Doug Parker." *shrugs AA

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Even our 321 CEOs are good up to FL340 right after a max weight takeoff... my best friend is at AA, and he said a number of guys there won't fly above 300 due to "cosmic radiation" or "screw Doug Parker." *shrugs AA
Someone should still kick your sorry asses, but that’s another story.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
No one I have ever flown with has stayed low and said “screw Doug Parker”. Single engine taxi, maybe so.
Do your 321CEOs have ACTs? I can tell you that many many time we cannot go straight to 340.