Is it just me, or is turbulence getting worse?

Jimmy_Norton

Opie killer
The jet stream has been in a weird spot for over a week now in the northeast. I think its finally getting back to normal. Had a stiff headwind coming back from Florida sunday and it was very bumpy south of DIW, both of which are not common.

The jet stream has been in a weird spot for over a week now in the northeast. I think its finally getting back to normal. Had a stiff headwind coming back from Florida sunday and it was very bumpy south of DIW, both of which are not common.
Is it just me, or does adding heat to a closed system cause a predictable increase in instability? ;)

troopernflight

If you have the WSI weather app, the Vertical Profile forecast works pretty well on predicting best altitudes to use for segments on flight. I’ve found it to be pretty accurate. And yes, I agree, there’s been some rough air this winter.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
If you have the WSI weather app, the Vertical Profile forecast works pretty well on predicting best altitudes to use for segments on flight. I’ve found it to be pretty accurate. And yes, I agree, there’s been some rough air this winter.
Since 90% of the flying I do is at 030 or lower, I haven't had that much turbulence like you guys get.

But the #$%@#&# winds have been killing us and cancelling a lot of student activity.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Seems like a standard northeast winter in terms of winds. Unusually warm though. Last few winters were mild through December but always turned winter cold by January. This year I havent even seen any puddles freeze

PropSettin'

Low n Slow
Ever since being on the 175, I've been more in tune with turbulence, and it seems like its been a bumpy year. But I think its just that plane. I haven't noticed anything different on my commutes.
It’s not just you that plane has a real stiff wing it does not like the bumps at all. 757 now is a caddy, comparatively.

Autothrust Blue

The frakkin’ CAG
If you'd like an open source version of what Delta pilots are "supposed" to use to avoid chop, have a gander here.

PeanuckleCRJ

Poodle Wrangler
Overall no... I've routinely been able to turn the seat belt sign off climbing through 10 and only turn it back on maybe once or twice for a few minutes before turning it on (as is required at SJI) for the descent.