Irrational Fears

Frenchie

As I am now beginning to apply to Dispatch positions (while I wait for my own shop to open an application window again) I just got the most irrational fear lol. I've never worked a real release or a dispatch shift in my entire life...what If I'm no good at it? What if by chance I get an interview and go and embarrass myself because what I thought I knew was enough but it really isn't? Help lol...

PuddlePirate

As I am now beginning to apply to Dispatch positions (while I wait for my own shop to open an application window again) I just got the most irrational fear lol. I've never worked a real release or a dispatch shift in my entire life...what If I'm no good at it? What if by chance I get an interview and go and embarrass myself because what I thought I knew was enough but it really isn't? Help lol...
If you haven’t already, ask if you can go sit with a dispatcher for an hour or a whole shift. Talk to the manager or supervisor and they can have you sit with someone who would be more than happy to show you a thing or two and address all of your concerns.

Dx81

Dispatching is all about confidence. Confidence in your knowledge and decision making. You know the information. Now you need to apply it to the job. It will take a couple months to get comfortable. Lean on the senior people. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

F9DXER

Isn't that what a parent feels when they let their kid(s) drive for the first time by themselves? FEAR.

NTDX

I feel like if you’re worried about your abilities as a dispatcher that at the very least you’ll not be a bad one. I think we’ve all known one or two dispatchers who we’re oblivious and/or uncaring about their poor performance and made you wonder how they even got their license in the first place.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
I feel like if you’re worried about your abilities as a dispatcher that at the very least you’ll not be a bad one. I think we’ve all known one or two dispatchers who we’re oblivious and/or uncaring about their poor performance and made you wonder how they even got their license in the first place.
And then, to add insult to injury, end up with the golden ticket!

DogwoodLynx

The fact that you are worried already means you’ll be fine. Just keep studying and learning. Never stop asking questions

autosave36

That question gives me no fear that you can be a good dispatcher. Use your brain, think critically and always be open to learning and youll be just fine

MAK49

Plus, they’re not just going to hire you and drop you on a desk by yourself on day one (well, at least if it’s a good operation). My biggest advice, once you’re on your own, if you have coworkers around, don’t be afraid to ask questions.