IRIAF/Saha 707 fatal crash, 1 survivor

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
......during an emergency landing at Fath airport, 25 miles west of Tehran. 707 overran the runway, went through a perometer wall and into an adjacent neighborhood, where a post-crash fire ignited. 707 was carrying a cargo of meat and 16 total persons were onboard. The sole survivor is reportedly the FE, who was reacued from the wreckage.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
So sad. There ought to be a law/rule that civilian airliners are exempt from the trade restrictions/sanctions on countries like Iran or North Korea. They operate some of the oldest civilian airliners known to still exist today. It's a safety thing. What if an Iranian jet has a technical issue that causes a crash on lands other than Iran? Now you got an innocent country involved and could be deaths on the ground as a result. If I was a member of that country, I'd be peeved.

Besides, think of the millions/billions in aircraft order you could get from Boeing and Airbus for Iran Air and Air Koryo.

Improving civilian aviation safety should not have political boundaries. When airliners crash, they don't tend to care about the nationalities or political orientation of the innocent civilians below.

Stone Cold

So sad. There ought to be a law/rule that civilian airliners are exempt from the trade restrictions/sanctions on countries like Iran or North Korea. They operate some of the oldest civilian airliners known to still exist today. It's a safety thing. What if an Iranian jet has a technical issue that causes a crash on lands other than Iran? Now you got an innocent country involved and could be deaths on the ground as a result. If I was a member of that country, I'd be peeved.

Besides, think of the millions/billions in aircraft order you could get from Boeing and Airbus for Iran Air and Air Koryo.

Improving civilian aviation safety should not have political boundaries. When airliners crash, they don't tend to care about the nationalities or political orientation of the innocent civilians below.
You are aware, that was a reality until trump did away with easing sanctions, right? Just curious...I know Faux wouldn't talk about it, but they were almost there.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member

While I agree, the good thing about parts for older airplanes like these is that they are available nearly worldwide, that even Iran would have access to. And I would imagine that Boeing probably doesn't provide much support for these older types anyway. Its either aftermarket, or make it work yourself, I would think.

While I agree, the good thing about parts for older airplanes like these is that they are available nearly worldwide, that even Iran would have access to. And I would imagine that Boeing probably doesn't provide much support for these older types anyway. Its either aftermarket, or make it work yourself, I would think.

Yeah but still. It's 2019. No reason why a country like Iran should still have to fly 707s and 727s (though the aviation geek side of me thinks, holy crap that's bad ass!)

I thought the sanctions were lifted and Iran ordered a bunch of Boeings and Airbii, but then that right was taken away?

Stone Cold

Yeah but still. It's 2019. No reason why a country like Iran should still have to fly 707s and 727s (though the aviation geek side of me thinks, holy crap that's bad ass!)

I thought the sanctions were lifted and Iran ordered a bunch of Boeings and Airbii, but then that right was taken away?
Yes, that was taken away when we got rid of the Iranian agreement. See above. Thanks trump.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

We still fly versions of the 707 in the military. What do you think the E-3 is?

As for sanctions, Boeing announced they would be unable to fulfil the order but I believe Airbus still plans too. I know some A320’s and 321’s were delivered in 2017/18.

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
We still fly versions of the 707 in the military. What do you think the E-3 is?

As for sanctions, Boeing announced they would be unable to fulfil the order but I believe Airbus still plans too. I know some A320’s and 321’s were delivered in 2017/18.
Civil 707s are somewhat a rarity, aside from Omega's birds, which they are slowly replacing with KDC-10s.

But yeah, between the USAF and USN, the E-3, E-6, E-8, and the myriad of -135 models.......they love their 707s.

Cazadores

Civil 707s are somewhat a rarity, aside from Omega's birds, which they are slowly replacing with KDC-10s.

But yeah, between the USAF and USN, the E-3, E-6, E-8, and the myriad of -135 models.......they love their 707s.
Kinda cool when you see a 135 and, say an E-8 next to each other you can really see the difference.

But I'm a nerd.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Per google research and aviation nerds, the last passenger service 707 (in the world) was Iranian airline SAHA Air but they retired their last 707 in 2015.
Iran. Last 707 service, last 727 service, last F-14 Tomcats when those retire. Likely will be the last F-4 Phantom operator, and possibly the last F-5 Tiger operator.

Lawman

Kinda cool when you see a 135 and, say an E-8 next to each other you can really see the difference.

But I'm a nerd.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Keep in mind Jstars, unlike the rest of the fleet were bought used from Airlines.

1 must have been a freighter carrying livestock though because it smells like a barn full of goats inside.