1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro

Discussion in 'Member Announcements' started by Siwulat, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Siwulat

Siwulat New Member

New here, but have enjoyed reading some of the threads thus far. A little about me:

I started my aviation career about 13 years ago and after completing my commercial multi I stopped. This past summer I decided to get back into what I love and did a BFR. And am now about 65% complete with my CFI initial. My ultimate goal is to complete that by summer and start building time, while looking to get on with a 135 operation. I'd like to get to 1500 or 1200 in 135 world as quickly as possible to open up the doors. This is going to be something of a significant career change, but it's ultimately what I want to do.

Anyways, looking forward to learn and network with the folks here!

2. renaissance2008

renaissance2008 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club,
    Lots of great stuff here...

3. Siwulat

Siwulat New Member

Passed my FIA last week and my FOI today. Written a are out of the way!

4. renaissance2008

renaissance2008 Well-Known Member

How is the flying part, after 13 years, was it a struggle to get proficient again, especially for the CFI ?
    I'm trying to do the same thing. Any tips or ways to go about it that you recommend ?
    Congrats on your written tests.

5. Siwulat

Siwulat New Member

It had been about 8 years of completely no flying. I haven't gotten back into the CFI maneuvers yet but should in the next few weeks weather permitting. What I found when doing my BFR was that it was like riding a bike, the maneuvers came back pretty quickly and I just needed to knock off the rust. I've struggled the most with the book stuff. All the little things that you knew at one time but forget. What's really helped me so far is actually taking the time to read the books while writing my lesson plans. E6B use, chart symbols, weather...those are the things that I've not remembered.

My tips would be 1) actually commit the time to the books and accept the frustrations of not remembering stuff you used to rattle off no problem. 2) Find an instructor who is not only patient but understands your situation. 3) Plan adequate time and resources ($$) so you can stay consistent with your training - again accepting that it may take you a few more hours in the air to get back into things. 4) Have fun! Enjoy getting back into something that you love!

Beyond that, it's not new material except the FOI. It's polishing what you already know! If I encounter anything else I'll pass it along. Feel free to bounce your experience off me as well; glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat :)