Interesting email from ATC HR...

I've been in ATC application purgatory since August '08, and I've gotten use to the run around (I do understand I'm not the only one). I was given a class date at the beginning of FY 11, but my cleareances expired and had to be passed over. After that I was told I was #7 in-line for a class date for ZAU, which is fine with me, but today I got and interesting email from the Midwest En-Route HR rep. It wasn't the so much the email that was interesting, but 1 line stood out in it, "If asking for a redirect, please be specific". Although ZAU was my geo pref, Im willing to jump ship if necessary. I would love some opinion on this topic, thanks in advance for time.

spades9048

It is my understanding that redirects are generally not accepted. However, if they are specifically mentioning redirects in your e-mail then maybe you have a shot. You could ask for Memphis. There are at least three of us, myself included, from the October 2010 panel that already have class dates. One is already in OKC & this other guy & me are going next month.

jermscentral

It's a risky move. When I was in line for a terminal spot, we got the same e-mail from one of the general HR reps for the region that said we could request a redirect, but if you do, you end up at the back of the line for that facility. For me, I got SUS as my airport and was allowed to put in a redirect for STL, but it would have put me somewhere like #9 in line instead of #1 where I ended up. It was worth the wait. I think, after that e-mail, it was about 6 months before I actually got the call with a class date for the facility for which I was originally assigned.

ZAU is supposed to bring on around 40 people next year from what I've heard at the facility. It's been a long time since we've had any significant number of people brought on board. Only 5 new hires in the last 14 months.

Yeah the HR guy told me they only brought on 5 people. If 40 is whats about to be brought on then thats great news, and there hope for me yet. Thanks for the info!