Interactive Nuclear Effects Map

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Get a pointy-nosed guy drunk and he'll tell you all about "The Lob Maneuver"

"That's classified!"

…a few drinks later...

"Oh man, the jet could carry these VYD or Variable Yield Devices, we called 'em 'Dial A Nuke' *yuk* *yuk*. The stratobladders would refuel you down to standpipe fuel for your mission but you know they'd bug out when they're down to 'bingo' because no one wants to flame out and attempt to deadstick on the beach" :)

Lawman

Get a pointy-nosed guy drunk and he'll tell you all about "The Lob Maneuver"

"That's classified!"

…a few drinks later...

"Oh man, the jet could carry these VYD or Variable Yield Devices, we called 'em 'Dial A Nuke' *yuk* *yuk*. The stratobladders would refuel you down to standpipe fuel for your mission but you know they'd bug out when they're down to 'bingo' because no one wants to flame out and attempt to deadstick on the beach" :)
The most disturbing thing I ever learned drinking with our resident B-52 pilot was that B-2 guys actually flew the “Nuke Moscow” mission...in the sim from start to finish. Apparently they’d go through the whole ordeal with go-pills and everything and fly a 20+ hour sim session.

I want to shoot myself after 4 hours in a sim... F that noise.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
You know what's hilarious about the pre-9/11 former SAC guys is a lot of them, after cocktails, would admit that they'd probably drop the ordinance into the ocean and bug out somewhere when the call came. Which is curious.

NickH

Dank Meme
You know what's hilarious about the pre-9/11 former SAC guys is a lot of them, after cocktails, would admit that they'd probably drop the ordinance into the ocean and bug out somewhere when the call came. Which is curious.
It's an interesting ethical issue, but one we're much more attuned to now than 50 years ago. Very few people would be willing to drop a Nuke on a civilian population today, but ask in the 1950's an there would be volunteers to nuke Moscow. A few years before that, 'Kill everyone over ten' was a lawful order. (ish, sort of, not really).

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member

"Gotta nuke somethin!"

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
The most disturbing thing I ever learned drinking with our resident B-52 pilot was that B-2 guys actually flew the “Nuke Moscow” mission...in the sim from start to finish. Apparently they’d go through the whole ordeal with go-pills and everything and fly a 20+ hour sim session.

I want to shoot myself after 4 hours in a sim... F that noise.
Yes they do. Can't be putting too many hours on the remainng 20 airframes. And in their sim, there is no fast-forwarding.......its 100% painful :)

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Worked on a non-aviation side project with a couple of B-2 guys and they told me similar stories about spending 24 hours in the sim and reaaaaaaaaaallly long missions in the airplane itself. Crazy, to me. Then again, I suspect a B2 is more comfortable than a PA-28. But not by a lot.

Spin up the missiles in the bullpen, flush the bombers. Get SAC on the horn.....
Hell, I'd piss on a spark plug right now if I thought it'd do any good...

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
True. A lot of the guys I know that flew SAC missions would mention that they and some of their cohorts probably wouldn't "complete the mission" and drop the ordinance in the sea.

All of my former missileer friends who haven't completely gone nuts are at the Pentagon and aren't talking.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
True. A lot of the guys I know that flew SAC missions would mention that they and some of their cohorts probably wouldn't "complete the mission" and drop the ordinance in the sea.

All of my former missileer friends who haven't completely gone nuts are at the Pentagon and aren't talking.
Always was amused in the F-117 when the bomb bay code in the nose wheel well for an empty bomb bay would be set to code XX or XX (corresponding to certain nuke bombs), then you call up that weapons bay on the right MFD, and it would be awaiting info entries for yield, air or ground burst, and burst height (if air). Then the colored weapons panel on the left console would light up with the green SAFE/LOCKED lights. Of course with nothing real on board and no entries/codes into the MFD, it would never advance to the amber UNLOCKED or ARMED, but it was cool to see.

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Always was amused in the F-117 when the bomb bay code in the nose wheel well for an empty bomb bay would be set to code XX or XX (corresponding to certain nuke bombs), then you call up that weapons bay on the right MFD, and it would be awaiting info entries for yield, air or ground burst, and burst height (if air). Then the colored weapons panel on the left console would light up with the green SAFE/LOCKED lights. Of course with nothing real on board and no entries/codes into the MFD, it would never advance to the amber UNLOCKED or ARMED, but it was cool to see.
I love it when you talk dirty :)