I'm recently licensed and looking into a 135 position. Need some advice!

I've only recently gotten my cert. and am looking into a part 135 air ambulance position. The problem is, all the training I received was all centered around part 121 operations and regulations. Does anyone have any advice/resources that can better educate me on part 135 ops? Also, if anyone has experience at an air ambulance company, I'd love to hear what you think about the job. Thanks!

z987k

I've only recently gotten my cert. and am looking into a part 135 air ambulance position. The problem is, all the training I received was all centered around part 121 operations and regulations. Does anyone have any advice/resources that can better educate me on part 135 ops? Also, if anyone has experience at an air ambulance company, I'd love to hear what you think about the job. Thanks!
135 doesn't require dispatch and you'll be a glorified secretary.

As a dispatcher at an air ambo place your job will entail taking calls for dispatch, calling a pilot to tell them only a destination. That's it.
The pilot will do everything from there.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member

As a dispatcher at an air ambo place your job will entail taking calls for dispatch, calling a pilot to tell them only a destination. That's it.
The pilot will do everything from there.
This. An air ambulance dispatch is a medical communications center, not an aviation dispatch. They take transport requests from hospitals, decide which asset/base to use for the transport, contact the pilot to inform them of the transport, and when the pilot gives the go-ahead, they call the medical team and pass patient info. There’s some flight following involved, but you aren’t doing any flight planning.

4EngineETOPS

Definitely look at part 121 regionals or supplementals (or NetJets) if you want to actually use your certificate.

A1TAPE

This all the way.
Saw a opening at an FBO for a dispatcher for 135 ops. One of the requirements was they wanted someone with a ADX and 121 experience. I thought well that will help with insurance but other than that...

QXDX

It's just a different set of rules they are operating under. Read up on the 135 regs., and whatever else applies to air ambulance.

flynryan692

Bash 135 all you want, but there is money in 135 if you network and have the right connections. I have a buddy that works 135 and he's making in the neighborhood of $90k and works from home most days. That's over twice as much as I am getting paid and I'm actually using my certificate.

4EngineETOPS

Bash 135 all you want, but there is money in 135 if you network and have the right connections. I have a buddy that works 135 and he's making in the neighborhood of $90k and works from home most days. That's over twice as much as I am getting paid and I'm actually using my certificate.
That is true, although those kind of positions aren't easy to find. A lot of people outside the industry or who just got the license don't know the distinction between 121 and 135, so I think it's important to verify they understand what they're getting into before they're miserable in a 135 shop while their certificate collects dust.

A-9er

My instructor @ Sheffield worked in 135 before Eric recruited him to teach. I sought his advice about working in 135, and he gave me very good advice, things to ask about in an interview. It was from someone who's been there, done that, someone knows the ins and outs. One of the BIG things he told me was this: many 135s will want you to do a 24 hour coverage period on a regular basis. What does that mean? They give you a cell phone and if ANYTHING at all goes wrong, YOU are the guy to fix it; if there's a problem @ 2 AM, you're the one who'll have to take care of it. That's something you definitely want to ask about if you interview with this operator.

Something else he told me was this: all 135 operators are different, so what a flight follower does at one may be very different than what a FF does at another. You may be a 'jack of all trades' at one, while more focused on flight following at another. It all depends.

IJD

I worked at a 135 shop for a year before I moved to a 121 gig. It was more than just flight following and being as one user put it "a glorified secretary". I was responsible for tail routing, working with crew scheduling and MOC, canceling and delaying flights, giving weather briefs, and dealing with diversions and emergencies.
A lot of skills that helped me and made me standout amongst other dispatchers and that I still use today. A lot of the skills were learned while I got my certificate.

Shock-Diamonds

There has been a lot of 121 hiring lately. SkyWest has hired classes of 8-20 every 3 months for about the last year and a half, Mesa has been hiring, and a number of others. From what I've hear, if you want to be 'dispatcher' try and get to a 121, otherwise you will be doing everything from route building to making hotel reservations.