If a pilot gets busted...

MaRiO FDZ

Han Solo is NOT dead!!
Zup dudes and dudettes?

A friend of mine and I were discussing what would happen if you (stupidly) were cought flying a Part 91 gig for hire with a 3rd class medical?

My money is on a sweet delicious fine. With cheese.

gotWXdagain

Highly Visible Member
Honestly as long as you don’t break something or get otherwise violated, the answer is probably, unfortunately, “Nothing because it happens every day.”

That being said, were the above to occur, you can probably put yourself on the fast track to the “hole punched blue card club.”.

Jetprop60

Zup dudes and dudettes?

A friend of mine and I were discussing what would happen if you (stupidly) were cought flying a Part 91 gig for hire with a 3rd class medical?

Not to mention a potential license suspension and / or a deferred medical

STS-41B

Zup dudes and dudettes?

asking for a friend?!?

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
if nothing happens the FAA may never find out
if something does happen you are open to all kinds of things from the FAA. I would also imaging you would open yourself up to huge civil liabilites. insurance may not pay for aircraft repairs, liability may not cover passengers, damages on the ground may not be covered, etc...

Just not worth it....

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Almost certainly nothing happens if it was an accident. If it was intentional, they'll throw the book at you.

DogwoodLynx

Zup dudes and dudettes?

ATPs have to have a 1st class. You’re covered no matter what, right?

Did I miss something?

U_of_I_Tweak

ATPs have to have a 1st class. You’re covered no matter what, right?

Did I miss something?
You have to have a First Class to exercise the privileges of an ATP. I have an ATP, but a second class medical is sufficient for part 91 corporate flying because I’m only exercising Commercial pilot privileges. Likewise, even though my ATP is both MEL and SEL, a third class medical is all that’s required to go hit up pancake breakfasts in a Cessna.

All that said, I keep a 1st class medical despite it not being a legal requirement for my job.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
Don’t. If you get busted, your career is over. If you don’t get busted, now you have to spend the rest of your career worrying about getting ratted out

Hell, depending on the FAA’s matrix, it might even be revocation.

“Give me $200...”

DogwoodLynx

You have to have a First Class to exercise the privileges of an ATP. I have an ATP, but a second class medical is sufficient for part 91 corporate flying because I’m only exercising Commercial pilot privileges. Likewise, even though my ATP is both MEL and SEL, a third class medical is all that’s required to go hit up pancake breakfasts in a Cessna.

All that said, I keep a 1st class medical despite it not being a legal requirement for my job.
Ah ok. I didn’t realize that. Thanks for correcting me