I. Have. Returned!

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
After three years of not flying at all, papa's got a brand-new medical and the first half of a monster Flight Review done.

3 hours of ground today mostly on airspace and procedures in the DC SFRA, plus some regulatory stuff and some minor systems stuff. I'd been studying a bit here and there, but I wasn't too rusty. Remembered 95% of what I needed to.

Went up and did six take offs and landings - first two were real nice, last four were still decent, but not my best. Still - pretty good for not having flown in 3 years.

I'm baaaaaaaack. :)

killbilly

Right now, I'm flying out of Leesburg (KJYO.) It's 40mi from where I live, so the drive out there is kind of a pain, but it's a good place to train, and they've got not only a decent sim, but a couple of ME airplanes and access to some other interesting things - like a Corvalis/Columbia 400. Rates are reasonable (for the area) and all in all, I'm pretty pleased. I may get connected with renting at a couple other places just for utility's sake, but one thing at a time.

I'm using Aviation Adventures.

The SFRA isn't bad, really, it's just a pain. Basically, if you know how to ask for flight following, you can handle the SFRA. (they call it the "safari".)

The FRZ is a different ballgame altogether. I'll probably apply for a TSA PIN at some point but that's later.

Right now, it's about knockin' the rust off.

killbilly

Condolences to your wallet.
Discounts on block rates help, but...yeah. You ain't kiddin'. When I first went in and talked to them, one of the desk staff joked and said, "Well, you're already a pilot so we know you hate money. "

youngflyer

Right now, I'm flying out of Leesburg (KJYO.) It's 40mi from where I live, so the drive out there is kind of a pain, but it's a good place to train, and they've got not only a decent sim, but a couple of ME airplanes and access to some other interesting things - like a Corvalis/Columbia 400. Rates are reasonable (for the area) and all in all, I'm pretty pleased. I may get connected with renting at a couple other places just for utility's sake, but one thing at a time.

I'm using Aviation Adventures.

The SFRA isn't bad, really, it's just a pain. Basically, if you know how to ask for flight following, you can handle the SFRA. (they call it the "safari".)

The FRZ is a different ballgame altogether. I'll probably apply for a TSA PIN at some point but that's later.

Right now, it's about knockin' the rust off.
That is really cool. I actually did a fair amount of flying up at Av-Ed there. Down at HEF I was flying at aviation adventures. They are a class act operation.

The Leesburg maneuvering area can get really packed on weekends, so make sure you keep your head on a swivel! There are also some weird procedures in place, such as the right turnout when taking off of runway 17. When transient pilots fly in, they are sometimes not aware of the local procedures, and can cause havoc. People nick the SFRA a lot also when making a southern or east turnout of the JYO maneuvering area. I am sure the instructors have covered a lot of this though.

killbilly

The Leesburg maneuvering area can get really packed on weekends, so make sure you keep your head on a swivel! There are also some weird procedures in place, such as the right turnout when taking off of runway 17. When transient pilots fly in, they are sometimes not aware of the local procedures, and can cause havoc. People nick the SFRA a lot also when making a southern or east turnout of the JYO maneuvering area. I am sure the instructors have covered a lot of this though.
I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. We were using 17 today. The field was pretty dead (weather wasn't the greatest) but other than it being an 800' pattern altitude, there wasn't anything really unusual. What do you mean by "right turnout?"

killbilly

What about your tailwheel flying? How are you going to get that done. No other flying counts.
They've got a champ down at HEF that I can book some time in. I've got the endorsement already, but I'm definitely rusty on that.

Still, I'll do that soon enough. Gotta take the wife flying.

Did I mention that I got married last week? :)

WacoFan

Bigly
They've got a champ down at HEF that I can book some time in. I've got the endorsement already, but I'm definitely rusty on that.

Still, I'll do that soon enough. Gotta take the wife flying.

Did I mention that I got married last week? :)
Married? You got married prior to finding a tailwheel to fly? I'm not sure about your priorities. Good for you!

youngflyer

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. We were using 17 today. The field was pretty dead (weather wasn't the greatest) but other than it being an 800' pattern altitude, there wasn't anything really unusual. What do you mean by "right turnout?"
I probably should have clarified. When you are departing the field, most pilots initiate a right turnout instead of using the left hand traffic pattern. That is at least what I have been taught. When you are flying IFR, prior to getting your release, they will ask what runway you are taking off. If you reply 17, they will respond with "N**** upon departure immediate right turn direct STILL..."

killbilly

I probably should have clarified. When you are departing the field, most pilots initiate a right turnout instead of using the left hand traffic pattern. That is at least what I have been taught. When you are flying IFR, prior to getting your release, they will ask what runway you are taking off. If you reply 17, they will respond with "N**** upon departure immediate right turn direct STILL..."
Ah, I did hear something like that today.

What I've learned, really, about flying in the SFRA boils down to this:

1) Never, ever, ever, EVER squawk 1200.
2) ALWAYS talk to Potomac TRACON.